[SOLVED] should i reapply thermal paste?

May 21, 2020
I've been running my pc for 6 years and haven't once changed the thermal paste. I don't use it for gaming or heavy load stuff. should i still change it?
my temps are at around mid 30's to 40's

Solution
cheers for that. good insight and i will be changing asap
Their absolutely no reason to change paste every year.
My wife used a Dell PC for about 10 years, never changed paste or had heat issues.
My 4790K was 6 years old when I retired it paste was still fine.

EDIT the link above to the computer guy is the worst advice ever.

Better advice.
I've been running my pc for 6 years and haven't once changed the thermal paste. I don't use it for gaming or heavy load stuff. should i still change it?
my temps are at around mid 30's to 40's
Hello there!
If you haven't replace it since 6 years it's most likely dried up and so I suggest you to reapply thermal paste as the thermal conductivity will improve your CPU would have a better life.

May 21, 2020
Hello there!
If you haven't replace it since 6 years it's most likely dried up and so I suggest you to reapply thermal paste as the thermal conductivity will improve your CPU would have a better life.
someone else said that i shouldn't as my [c temps are fine. i run a fx 6300. any idea what the avg temp should be idle etc

i run a fx 6300. any idea what the avg temp should be idle etc. the person above you said to change it as it dries out and ruins your cpu n the long run
That's my experience and opinion check the post I've linked, it mentions the same thing as @Zerk2012 if it's cool then maybe don't change, but 6 years is too long imo and the quality of the compound vaires so..., if you plan on cleaning your pc entirely maybe yea do change the compound too
https://www.onecomputerguy.com/how-often-to-reapply-thermal-paste

May 21, 2020
Their to many variables you can't say one temp is right or wrong.
Depends on case cooling, using the stock cooler or not, the last time you cleaned the PC out etc......
never really cleaned my pc. i got an air can duster around 2 ago and cleaned the heatsink and around the motherboard etc. and its got 2 inflow fans at the front and on outake at the back nothing on top. these are all stock coolers/basic ones

May 21, 2020
Reactions: General Kenobi

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
cheers for that. good insight and i will be changing asap
My wife used a Dell PC for about 10 years, never changed paste or had heat issues.

Better advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahul_mohan
Solution
May 21, 2020

Better advice.
Thank you for informing me. This was very detailed as well and I understand what you mean. I might as well do it and better safe then sorry I guess

Better advice.

Right.