Should I refresh my PC?

mangaman

Honorable
I decided to run a sfc /scannow command in command prompt to see if my PC has any errors and windows found some errors but unfortunately they could not be fixed even in safe mode. People on other computer website forums have said if you run into this problem you should refresh your PC. If I REALLY do need to refresh do I have to reinstall drivers and re-disable certain services, such as remote assistance, that were on when windows was installed.

it is much easier and so much less time consuming to refresh than fix windows corruption. you will lose any installed programs and windows settings. Refresh only keeps user files. All programs and settings will be lost. Reset is a fresh install.

mangaman

Honorable

So I will have to reinstall all of my steam games correct?

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
You will have to reinstall some drivers, yes. You can turn off Remote Assistance if you're not using it, but you can do that now.

But yes, trying to locate where a problem is, is an exercise in chasing down rabbit holes. It is a major PITA to reinstall; you have driver updates *and* Windows updates to deal with, and then you get the joy of reinstalling programs. But the rabblt holes are worse.

Y'know, I would be tempted, if this is Win 8.1, to just update to Win 10.

yup

mangaman

Honorable

I do have Windows 8.1 and instead of refreshing it would be better if I just upgraded it Windows 10 when it comes out correct?

mangaman

Honorable

But my local saves won't be deleted right?