[SOLVED] Should I replace my Amd Radeon R9 290?

Apr 12, 2020
My AMD Radeon R9 290 regularly reaches 90-95c when gaming, even on low settings. According to the manufacturer website it can safely reach that temperature, but when looking at other graphics cards the general advice is to keep it below 80c. it's been heavily used since 2014, cleaned regularly, got new thermal paste 3 years ago. Recently my computer has started crashing during intense gameplay (Borderlands 3).

I'm thinking about upgrading some parts like my i5-4590, should I replace my GPU while I'm at it or is it still acceptable?

Last edited:
Solution
My AMD Radeon R9 290 regularly reaches 90-95c when gaming, even on low settings. According to the manufacturer website it can safely reach that temperature, but when looking at other graphics cards the general advice is to keep it below 80c. it's been heavily used since 2014, cleaned regularly, got new thermal paste 3 years ago. Recently my computer has started crashing during intense gameplay (Borderlands 3).

I'm thinking about upgrading some parts like my i5-4590, should I replace my GPU while I'm at it or is it still acceptable?

Hi @Mary31

Welcome to the forums!

In regards to your 290, when it runs, HOW does it run? Does Borderlands 3 run smooth? (Great game btw) Are you happy with how other games run? If so, then...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Hi @Mary31

Welcome to the forums!

In regards to your 290, when it runs, HOW does it run? Does Borderlands 3 run smooth? (Great game btw) Are you happy with how other games run? If so, then there is no need to replace the 290. :) Are there better GPU's out? Yes, but if you're happy with how it runs and are just concerned about the temps, there are steps you can take to help lower them.

You say it's clean? I mean are the fans & heatsink really clear of dust or just the yearly blow out?

You reapplied the thermal paste 3 years ago? What did you use? A good quality thermal past or whatever you had on hand at the time? I'd advise you do it again with a quality paste. MX-4 is great. As you know, it can overtime dry out which drastically lessens it's ability to conduct heat between the actual GPU & the heatsink itself.

Do you have any custom fan profiles set? If not, download either MSI Afterburner or my favorite Precision X1 to manually set your 290's fans RPM's. A cooler GPU is a happy GPU. Both work with any GPU.

In regards to temps, no 2 GPU's are alike in this regards. Mine may run cooler than yours & vice versa. This is also true between the different makes & models, nVidia & AMD for example. Not to mention the overall ambient temps of where your tower is. I take it you have good airflow? If sitting in hot air, the best cooler won't lower the temps...

More info please.

Solution