Question Should I return new ASUS B450 since I’m planning on buying a ryzen 3000 series CPU?

Nov 28, 2018
I will be using my computer for both gaming and productivity, such as 3D modeling and rendering.

What am I gaining if I buy x570 motherboards? I hear are designed with the ryzen 3rd gen cpus in mind, but that design seems to be matched with a steep price. Or so says what I’ve been reading.

My question stems out of deep ignorance of computers, like the differences between PCIe 3 and 4. Will the new cpu be held back if I don’t upgrade, or are the benefits notable, but practically small?

Nov 28, 2018
X570 will be significantly more expensive than current X470 or B450 boards according to sources.

https://www.techpowerup.com/256340/...alternative-x570-motherboards-to-be-expensive
Really, it depends on a few things. WHICH Ryzen 3000 processor do you plan to buy?

DO you plan to overclock?

What graphics card will you be running?

What will your storage device configuration look like?

I plan on buying the Ryzen 9 3900. I don’t have experience overclocking, though, I’m not opposed to learning something new. When I upgraded I the new cpu, I’ll be using a RX 590. However, this is likely to change several months later. My storage will be a 2 TB HDD that I currently own, and I’ll be adding an SSD when I grab the cpu. Probably 1 TB in size.

Hey, and thanks for helping! I do appreciate your time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Return the B450. Wait until the 3000 series drops, then compare the results. Currently, for gaming there's not much difference with top line amd or Intel, both are more than capable of beyond refresh fps minimums. Production is a different matter entirely. Right now in Adobe CC, for overall value the i7 9700k is king, beats out many HEDT cpus across the board, only in Premier Pro does it balk. And it's still tied with the 2700x there. It's really only second to the i9 9900k, but that's not exactly anything close to Value per $. The Ryzens pretty much get stomped, even the i5 9600k beats them or ties.

So you should weigh heavily on exactly how important the gaming to production ratio really is vrs budget, and how the 3000 series compares to its predecessors.

Reactions: sldonk
I plan on buying the Ryzen 9 3900. I don’t have experience overclocking, though, I’m not opposed to learning something new. When I upgraded I the new cpu, I’ll be using a RX 590. However, this is likely to change several months later. My storage will be a 2 TB HDD that I currently own, and I’ll be adding an SSD when I grab the cpu. Probably 1 TB in size.

Hey, and thanks for helping! I do appreciate your time.

Overclocking aside, the only real reason to go with an X570 board is if you need a PCIe Gen 4 device. Currently very few are out but it would most likely be an NVME drive. IF you don't plan on one then an X570 board will get you very little.

PCIE Gen 4 offers double the bandwidth of Gen 3. In theory...in synthetic benchmarks that is...it really helps NVME data transfers. Whether you notice it in real application use is questionable as even Gen3 is rarely saturated with current NVME's. It may help a lot with certain GPU activities (gaming is NOT one) but you need a Gen 4 GPU and that will be Navi.

You can find several very good X470 and B450 boards that will run even 3900X processor's nicely and a lot cheaper. I don't know about your Asus, though.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018
If it were ME, I'd want a better board that that for use with that 8 core Ryzen CPU model. But, it isn't the worst one out there so if that's not an option it should be serviceable.

Are you suggesting grabbing the x570, or do you have some others in mind? I’m happy to have a variety of options. I had only just bought the mobo yesterday, as I’m trying to build a PC soon. It was only after I had made some purchases that I heard of the news about the new Ryzen series. Poor research on my part.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's on the low end of the Asus Prime series, you want to put a premium cpu in a budget board. The 3900 will in no way be cheap, it'll also have serious power demands from the VRM's etc, and the Prime series isn't the strongest in that area. I'd be looking at B450/X470 in the $100+ area like the Gigabyte Auros Elite/Pro, MSI Tomahawk/Gaming Pro even the ASRock Master etc as they have the strongest VRM's on the market. Which you'll need for any decent OC and good performance from that cpu.

Nov 28, 2018
I honestly was just following a pc build guide I found for a $1000 budget. I own most of the parts needed for a pc, and was only looking at replacing the cpu, gpu, and adding an SSD. The board was recommended and I didn’t give it any thought. It was affordable and let me slot everything into it. I took everything else on the list, moved up a model or two, watched some reviews, and picked that one. But not with the board.

That’s my budget. $1000. That cpu will eat more than half of that. Though, I don’t know how comfortable I’d be spending much more than $300 on a mobo, however, that might be out of my ignorance of its true worth.

And I don’t know what case I have, but it isn’t small. That wasn’t a factor in choosing that board.

If you don't plan to overclock, I'd look at this board:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($186.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $186.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-09 01:13 EDT-0400

Or this one:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $174.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-09 01:14 EDT-0400

If you THINK you MIGHT be inclined to overclock that CPU or run the factory profiles for PBO/XFR2, then I'd probably look at this board as being a not outrageously expensive but very good quality with good power phase and VRM cooling option.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $229.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-09 01:16 EDT-0400

The X470 Taichi is a pretty good option as well. All of which is assuming you have no plans to wait for, or pay for, and X570 board, which really might not be that bad of an idea since you have to wait for the CPUs to see mass release anyhow so you lose nothing by waiting to see a few reviews and some actual testing insights into how these newer CPUs perform on older boards. I'd wait, since you have to anyhow, at least for the motherboard. But if you can't wait, then those options above should get you in the front door without being thrown into the alley right afterwards.