Question should i rma my 980 pro

Feb 14, 2023
so just seen the news on the 980 pro 2tb and sure enough i had the bad firmware (never updated it until now)
running smart in magician instantly fails both with old and new firmware with Aborted by unknown error ({0}){7}
i did a full scan that showed errors and i should do recovery which also failed and said check disc connection
pics of magician and crystalmark/info
View: https://imgur.com/a/5yV9lMH

Feb 14, 2023
Is it new enough you can return for a refund?

What confidence do you have that a second example would not have the same problem?
drive was bought a year ago from newegg and only assembled in april only 17tb written
i dont see why it should fail smart test in samsung own software and also offer a recovery option which also fails
combining this with the bad sectors and the fact i was running it with the bad firmware all this time
im just asking should i rma it

If you RMA, you might get a "refurb" rather than a new drive.

Factor in the delay, inconvenience, and aggravation associated with dealing with Samsung's customer service department.

I don't know how important all of that is to you. Maybe you're perfectly willing to RMA or maybe you are highly disinterested for the above reasons.

And I don't know if you are dissatisfied with performance...above and beyond what SMART says or what Crystal reports.

Do you have backups of whatever is on it?

"Should" is a highly personal decision.

Feb 14, 2023
If you RMA, you might get a "refurb" rather than a new drive.

Factor in the delay, inconvenience, and aggravation associated with dealing with Samsung's customer service department.

I don't know how important all of that is to you. Maybe you're perfectly willing to RMA or maybe you are highly disinterested for the above reasons.

And I don't know if you are dissatisfied with performance...above and beyond what SMART says or what Crystal reports.

Do you have backups of whatever is on it?

"Should" is a highly personal decision.
giving the issues with the 980 pro and 990 pro doubt they wont replace it with a new one
performance seems fine im just worried about current wear of the ssd

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
I had this happen to me.

In May of 2021 I bought a 980 Pro 2TB. In November I started getting some read errors, lost files, etc. I ran a virus scan first, then a disk scan using Samsung Magician and had 3 red dots. I sent the drive to Samsung. I had a backup of my data, still, the whole experience was a big pain in the a$$. I got a brand new drive back from Samsung. It's been working fine ever since. My other 980 Pro 2TB in my laptop never skipped a beat.

So, take it from somebody with experience, two things:

1. You will lose data. I had 3 red dots (not sure how many sector each dot represents, but it doesn't matter, it's bad) and lost data. You have a hell of a lot more of those red dots, you will lose data. No ifs, or buts, you will lose data. So be prepared.

2. Send the drive to Samsung immediately. Even if you get a refurbished drive back, it's still a thousand times better than what you have.

giving the issues with the 980 pro and 990 pro doubt they wont replace it with a new one
performance seems fine im just worried about current wear of the ssd
If you haven't at least go through their RMA process to see if they will or won't agree to it. Only if you know they will is it worth agonizing over.

If it were mine I would back everything out to another drive (even a spinner if necessary) until I got a replacement in any case.

Last edited:

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
this is ridiculous burden a consumer has to take in my opinion. Since they admitted the defect, they should offer free cross-shipping RMA, maybe with a credit card number as hostage. I don't think they lose much for this kind of arrangement