[SOLVED] Should I sell my 3080 Ti and try to get a 4080 Ti?

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
I've had the 3080 Ti for about half a year and I bought it at MSRP back when MSRP was around $1500. I can probably get around $1200 for it now and perhaps get myself a 4080 ti if price/stock permits. I'm guessing that the new cards will sell out instantly though and then I'll be left without a GPU.

Thoughts?

Solution
No telling what the specs of the 4000 series will be.
Nor, what it will cost.
The rough specs are thought to be mostly known at this point since they haven't changed much over the last year worth of rumors. The biggest unknown being how the specs are going to translate into performance due to architecture changes for which we know both AMD and Nvidia are aiming in the neighborhood of doubling performance tier-for-tier and can approximate the rest from there.

Cost-wise, expectations are 30-40% higher, though I'm hoping the used mining GPU flood that should come about with PoS will make those price point untenable.
Why miss out on what could be 1/2 years worth of gaming until the 4080 releases on the hope of getting something better? Is the 3080Ti lacking that much you are unhappy with it? The Ti variant probably won’t release for a year after the 4080 if NVIDIA follows prior trends. There will always be something new just around the corner, where do you draw the line and enjoy what you have?

Reactions: spentshells

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Thank you all for the responses! The 3080 Ti is rockin, especially at 1440p I can play any game with all settings cranked and expected phenomenal FPS. The only reason I'm even considering this move is because I've had the 3080 ti for a short period of time and already something new and perhaps shinier is coming. I guess it all depends on the price, availability and performance of the new card. If it's priced at say $700 and shreds the 3080 Ti then of course that would have been a good idea then. But then if the price is too high and availability non existant and maybe even the performance gain is only minor then it definitely would be a bad idea. It's just that with this sudden stranglehold on the GPU market being released and cards selling for MSRP or sometimes even below, one might not be punished to think hey maybe the 40 series will come out and be priced well and available who knows? Although, you guys are most likely correct and I should just stay with my 3080 Ti :) I already lost enough money by being lazy and not selling my Strix 2080 for $800 when I could have done so and ended up only getting $500 for it now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it ain't broke, it don't need fixin. There's absolutely nothing special about a 4080ti over what your 3080ti can't do.

It's like wanting to replace a 2021 Corvette that does 180mph with a 2022 model because it'll do 200mph. What difference does that honestly make when the speed limit is 70mph on the interstate.

And pre-owned 3080ti are averaging $800-$1000, brand new are selling for $1200+. With recent gpu pricing drops, nobody will buy a used 3080ti for $1200 if a 4080/ti is anywhere close, and available. You might be lucky to get $800 then.

InvalidError

Titan
No telling what the specs of the 4000 series will be.
Nor, what it will cost.
The rough specs are thought to be mostly known at this point since they haven't changed much over the last year worth of rumors. The biggest unknown being how the specs are going to translate into performance due to architecture changes for which we know both AMD and Nvidia are aiming in the neighborhood of doubling performance tier-for-tier and can approximate the rest from there.

Cost-wise, expectations are 30-40% higher, though I'm hoping the used mining GPU flood that should come about with PoS will make those price point untenable.

Solution