Should I sell the 6700K for the non-K version of it just because of the motherboard?

POPCORNS 1068

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
My friend's build is something like this:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard: Msi H170A GAMING PRO
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition (No plans for SLI)

Now from what I've heard, pairing a K-series processor with a non-Z chipset is a waste of money,
even though everything except for overclocking will work.

But what if he already has these compenents? Should I sell / trade the CPU for a non-K version of it? (He also said he want to keep this motherboard.)

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Sell it? Do you think your going to make all your money back for it? I doubt it. Yes there is not much of a point to have a k chip on a locked H170 board. If you can still send it back to where you bought it and get all your money back maybe its worth it, the 6700 is about 40 dollars cheaper where I live. Up to you, I would probably just keep it.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016
Not really worth the hassle if he has already gotten the parts, unless you can find someone who will pay full price for the 6700K, or pay the full difference between the 6700 and 6700K.

Well I wouldn't change it if already bought, unless you can get a full refund. The difference is minimal, but the 'K' version clocks a bit higher than the non-K version (4 ghz vs. 4.2 ghz turbo). But usually if already bought you will not get the full price for it.