Question Should I still avoid Intel CPUs?

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
I'm currently on a 10600K and was think of upgrading, but should I still be avoiding 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs? Or did Intel address those issues?

It mostly depends on what you're looking for and how much effort you want to go to. Intel claims to have resolved the issues and while I think it's likely they have the only real indicator is going to be time. If you're looking midrange a 13600K/14600K is probably a relatively safe choice either way.

I wouldn't suggest the 14700K/13900K/14900K unless you were willing to do some stress testing/voltage monitoring with potentially some manual tweaking.

Reactions: Lafong

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
It mostly depends on what you're looking for and how much effort you want to go to. Intel claims to have resolved the issues and while I think it's likely they have the only real indicator is going to be time. If you're looking midrange a 13600K/14600K is probably a relatively safe choice either way.

I wouldn't suggest the 14700K/13900K/14900K unless you were willing to do some stress testing/voltage monitoring with potentially some manual tweaking.
Yes sorry, the 13600k and 14600k were the choices I was looking at since they both have some good deals going on.

Would it be better to just switch to AMD and go with something like a 7600x?

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
You can upgrade to 10700k, 10900k or 11700k, 11900k without changing motherboard.

BTW Intel is releasing next gen Core Ultra 7 265, Core Ultra 9 285 shortly.
Probably should delay your upgrade plans till then.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think any of those upgrades would make a significant change in performance.

I guess I should wait and see what Intel's new lineup has to offer

logainofhades

Titan
Yes sorry, the 13600k and 14600k were the choices I was looking at since they both have some good deals going on.

A 12700k will offer similar performance, without having to worry about the stability issues of 13th and 14th gen.

Personally, I would go with AM5, for a new build though.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think any of those upgrades would make a significant change in performance.
Actually - you are wrong.
Upgrading from 6core i5 to 8core i7 will give more performance than
upgrading from one generation 6core i5 to next generation 6core i5.

As to about efficiency cores - you can ignore them, they are rather weak on 13th and 14th gen.
1 performance core ~= 4 efficiency cores.

I'm currently on a 10600K and was think of upgrading, but should I still be avoiding 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs? Or did Intel address those issues?
Intel did say they have found the root cause of issues and has released fixes.
If you install the latest bios for your motherboard, you will be fine.
And, the warranty will be extended.
What do you want to accomplish by the upgrade?
I5-10600K has 12 threads and a passmark rating of 14556. That is when all 12 threads are fully utilized.
The single thread rating is 2937 which helps with desktop quickness and games.
The I5-13600K has 20 threads and a rating of 38442, single thread rating is 4187.
Run the cpu-Z bench on your I5-10600K. You should see a score of about 600:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/t5vzcd

As to upcoming intel processors, that is good and bad news.
Price/performance will probably be 15% better if history is any guide.
But, the top chip will probably command a buyer's premium.
New chipset motherboards can be expected to have frequent bios updates.

If you have a need now, buy now.
If you can wait a bit, wait.

It depends on what you do with your system. If you're just playing games then AMD is the smart play. If you do much that is multithreaded then Intel is going to be the better choice in that price class. 12th Gen is going to be slower, but there are some great deals to be had so it can still be a solid choice. Intel's new CPUs launch in a couple of weeks so it certainly makes sense to wait and see where things are at the end of the month.

logainofhades

Titan
Actually - you are wrong.
Upgrading from 6core i5 to 8core i7 will give more performance than
upgrading from one generation 6core i5 to next generation 6core i5.

As to about efficiency cores - you can ignore them, they are rather weak on 13th and 14th gen.
1 performance core ~= 4 efficiency cores.

The IPC lift of 12th gen and newer > adding more cores on a 10th or 11th gen system. A 12600k is faster in gaming, and smashes a 10700k in multicore workloads.

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
I'm mainly using my PC for gaming and some occasional work stuff, so I'm definitely looking for a CPU geared more towards gaming than productivity. I don't need to upgrade now, but getting tempted with all the deals going on and how my CPU is about 4 years old now.

For context I'm currently running a Nvidia RTX 4070 with 16 GB DDR4 RAM. I guess I'll be a little more patient and see the benchmarks for Intel's new lineup.