[SOLVED] Should I stop writing to the disk when making a backup of the windows drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I use Macrium to make a back up of my windows drive...Should I disconnect the internet and stop writing to the Windows drive after starting to backup ? Does it even matter ?

Solution
It doesn't matter, since there's always going to be writes somewhere to the system drive periodically. If the software needs absolutely nothing touching the drive while it's working, it'll require rebooting and doing the back up before the OS gets to boot.

If it's working fine otherwise, there's no need to do anything extra.
It doesn't matter, since there's always going to be writes somewhere to the system drive periodically. If the software needs absolutely nothing touching the drive while it's working, it'll require rebooting and doing the back up before the OS gets to boot.

If it's working fine otherwise, there's no need to do anything extra.

Solution
I don't understand it in any depth, but Macrium effectively takes a snapshot at a moment in time and what you do after that moment doesn't matter.

I tend to do nothing while it is running, but the fact is there is all kinds of stuff going on in the PC even though I'm nowhere near it.

Reactions: CountMike
Status
Not open for further replies.