Question Should I swap my 750W PSU with my old 850W one?

May 9, 2024
I recently bought a used PC from eBay with a Ryzen 7 7700x @ 5.5 GHz with a voltage of 1,245 V, 32 GB (2x16) of DDR5 CL 40 Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM at 6200 MHz, an ASUS PRIME B650-Plus motherboard, a Gainward RTX 4070 Panther running at a 3000 MHz boost clock and 1.085 V, a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD, an iCUE H100i Elite RGB AIO cooler with two non-RGB fans, four 120mm Corsair RGB case fans and a 750W BeQuiet Straight Power 11 Gold PSU.
My old PC had a i5 4690k @ 4,3 GHz, 16 GB (4x4) of DDR3 CL11 Corsair Vengeance RAM at 2133 MHz, a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard, a Gigabyte GTX 970 running at 1565 MHz boost clock and 1.206 V, a 250 GB Intel SSDPEKKF25 M.2 PCIe SSD, a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SATA SSD, a 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD, a 1TB Western Digital Black HDD, a Corsair H110 AIO cooler with two red led fans, 4 120mm Corsair red led fans and a 850W Corsair RM850X PSU.
I orignally bought a Corsair RM850 PSU in 2014 but it failed in 2017 and was replaced with a RM850X through RMA.
Now my question is should i swap the PSUs before I sell my old PC?
I planned to upgrade the old PC at some point but never did so a 750W PSU should be enough.
Meanwhile 750W might be enough for my current PC, but what if I want to upgrade in the future? I heared that they plan on giving the 5090 a 600W cooler so it's not unreasonable to assume that the 5000 series will consume more power than the 4000 series and so will future series. Since AMD plans to support AM5 for quite some time as well a CPU upgrade is also not outside the realm of possibility.
On the otherhand the 750W PSU was bought just last year so I should have warrenty until 2028. Whereas if the warrenty doesn't extend through RMA my warrenty will run out this year and even if it does I will only have warrenty until 2027.
What would you recommend that I do?

the 750W PSU was bought just last year so I should have warrenty until 2028
it is difficult to determine warranty info through prebuilt systems, especially used systems.

any warranty associated with the prebuilt system would be honored by the builder,
not the individual manufacturers of the components inside.

unless each warranty has been individually transferred to your name and you have the retail receipts for those items they will not be covered.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
From what i know is the RMx abit better mainly/partly because of capacitors used. See no harm in that swap.

Don't think that warranty must be the thought behind it. See answer above.

Don't know if all cables came with the Be Quiet psu where with the RMx you probably still have all if you ever needed something extra.

May 9, 2024
it is difficult to determine warranty info through prebuilt systems, especially used systems.

any warranty associated with the prebuilt system would be honored by the builder,
not the individual manufacturers of the components inside.

unless each warranty has been individually transferred to your name and you have the retail receipts for those items they will not be covered.
Well, it was one of those places that build custom PCs for you, and as long as you have the receipt you can just lie about your name and tell them that you moved. They claim 3 years of warranty so I should at least have that. But yeah it's a bit risky. Thanks for the response.

May 9, 2024
From what i know is the RMx abit better mainly/partly because of capacitors used. See no harm in that swap.

Don't think that warranty must be the thought behind it. See answer above.

Don't know if all cables came with the Be Quiet psu where with the RMx you probably still have all if you ever needed something extra.
In that case, I will swap them. I still have all the cables for the RMx and the eBay seller gave me all the cables that came with the BeQuiet one. Thanks.

Reactions: Vic 40
it was one of those places that build custom PCs for you, and as long as you have the receipt you can just lie about your name and tell them that you moved. They claim 3 years of warranty so I should at least have that.
that's not how it works, whatever the seller may have told you.

you actually have to have a legitimate retail receipt/invoice from the retailer that each individual component was purchased from to activate any warranty for that component.

having a statement that someone put a system together for you that included that specific component isn't enough.

you would likely have to send the entire package back to the builder and have them try and replace any individual hardware.

you really have no idea how long some of these items may have been sitting around their workspace and/or if the individual warranties had ever been activated with the component manufacturers.

May 9, 2024
that's not how it works, whatever the seller may have told you.

you actually have to have a legitimate retail receipt/invoice from the retailer that each individual component was purchased from to activate any warranty for that component.

having a statement that someone put a system together for you that included that specific component isn't enough.

you would likely have to send the entire package back to the builder and have them try and replace any individual hardware.

you really have no idea how long some of these items may have been sitting around their workspace and/or if the individual warranties had ever been activated with the component manufacturers.
Yeah, I understand. I will only get a warranty if I send the whole PC in and have them try fixing it.
If that happens I shouldn't have a problem if I switched the PSU through, right?
Of course, I won't get a warranty for the PSU since it wasn't installed/ bought by them but their warranty should still cover the rest of the components.

May 9, 2024
there's a good chance they will claim you voided any warranty by manipulating the hardware inside.

you should be troubleshooting this with the builder and go by what they recommend.
I'm not sure if that's even legal here in Europe, but if it is, I will replace the PSU with an identical used one, that I will buy from eBay before sending the PC in.
Ideally, nothing breaks in the warranty period (or after that) and I don't have to deal with it anyway.
But thanks for the info.
Edit: I checked the website of the builders and they say that you can upgrade your PC without voiding the warranty as long as you don't damage the PC during the upgrade, so I should be fine.

Last edited: