Should I switch my CPU?

sjp3568

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Hey guys -

I am trying to tweak/upgrade my desktop recently after 2 years of use. I already upgrade my GPU to 1070 ti but was wondering if I should upgrade my CPU as well. I am currently using i7-4790K on Gigabyte z97x-ud3h motherboard.

I am thinking of switching my CPU to i5-8600k and motherboard to Gigabyte Z370-HD3 ($305 bundle price @ Micro-center). It looks like I can sell my current CPU on ebay for around $240 so that would be $60 to switch both CPU and motherboard.

Main games I would be playing are PUBG, CS:GO, League of Legends, Assassin Creed.

Is this a good idea? I guess I am paying $60 for newer motherboard and CPU, and going from 4 core on 8 thread to 6 core CPU.

Let me know you thought!

It looks like it would be worth it, single core and multi core will be stronger on the 8600k since physical cores do better then Hyper Thread cores. You also get the benefit of going from DDR3 to DDR4 ram.

I just made the move from a 4670k to a 8700k, all the parts will be in today so no real world experience on the jump yet.

On a side note, the 1151 socket might be dead with this cpu. Normally Intel only does 2 cpus per socket before moving on, there might be a 9000 series cpu that fits the 1151 socket or they might move it to a completely different socket. But like me you've held onto a 4000 series for 4-5 years so things could change a lot in that time before you need to upgrade again.

Um he already upgraded to a 1070 ti, not much more headroom to move up in cards.

vexicus

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
I recently upgraded from 4790k to 8700k.....nd I don't find much of a difference in games....fps in the both cases are almost identical....I would rather suggest u to keep going with ur 4760k...it's a really good processor even by today's standards

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Dear sjp,

read here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3192807/ultimate-bottlenecking-guide.html

Your CPU is not bottlenecking your GTX 1070 ti ... barely. So, you won't have better fps in general. But it's a close shave, there migth be some settings where you can see improvement in benchmarks. Still, I believe, you'll hardly notice.

BUT:

With patches for Spectre and Meltdown coming up, this might change, and the 4770K will be affected. The question is, will it affect gaming much. So you might watch out for benchmarks judging on the effect on patches on your CPU.
It you have Games that profit from more Cores and higher clockrates, independent of graphics, like i.e. Civ VI, this is a different thing. But because the 4770K is still a fast beast, and 4C-8T is not really worse than 6C-6T, and i also doubt, even if benchmarks show a difference, that you'll feel it.

sjp3568

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Oops sorry for confusion. It is i7-4790K. (Edited my thread). I'm still considering what to do... I mean if I can get new motherboard and bit better CPU for $60, I think I might be down for it. Still down for other thoughts from the crowd :)