Should i turn off my computer every night? or just put it to sleep

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017
Hey, my question is about turning off your computer or put it to sleep? Im a new streamer/gamer and would like to know if i should turn off my computer every night? I heard that turning off your computer every night and turning it back on every morning can be stressful to components and components might need replacement eventually. Is it myth or actually true?

Some info that might be needed:
I use computer around 10 hours a day
At night (usually 11-12pm) i turn my compuer off.
At morning (on weekends i turn my computer on at 10am).
On weekdays i turn my computer on at 4pm.

Big thanks who can help!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
used to be true, not so much anymore.
it was crappy solder, heat and cool cycles could cause cracking and shorts. the heating and cooling cycles could also cause thermal creep, loosening cards and RAM over time.

my pc is on most of the time and its 9 years old so make of that what you will.
955 black and HD 7950, still gaming.

If you will leave the unit off for long periods I do suggest unplugging it/switching off the power bar when not in use to isolate from electrical issues.

I only put my PC to sleep when I've finished with it for the day - - - I only shut it down & unplug it from wall-socket when I'm going away on hols or whatever. Never had any issues with that. Additionally, I've always had all my PC gear plugged in to a multi-socket extension which itself is plugged in to a Belkin surge protector at the wall-socket.