Question Should I up to 5 case fans from 3 for a MSI armour GTX 1070

Doddsy7

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Hi all

I’ve recently bought a used GTX 1070 and installed it in my setup no problem, it runs perfectly and as a GTX 1070 should. However, when using it for gaming on some games for a while, there is a funny sort of plastic melting smell emitted from my pc. I have researched this before and it is said to be solvent related so I brushed it off. However I have used the card for a while today playing gta 5 with default settings and my computer straight up just turned off and refused to turn back on. It was boiling hot and the GTX 1070 was clearly the hottest of the lot. After it had cooled down it turned back on without a problem. I only have 3 case fans and I’m curious whether I should up it to 5 for this specific card. I previously had a GTX 1050 and there was nothing like this happening, so should I buy more case fans for my new card?
I’m kind of new to PCs and would appreciate some help as to what to do

Thanks

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
i recommend mastercooler h500ncase, it cost around 100. It has two 200m fans att the front which will give you A LOT OF AIRFLOW! And you have a exhaust of course. Those fans are rbg as well which improves the looks. You can mount a radiator up to a 280mm at the top of the case if your upgrading your system to a high end one. Yup, it's future proof

Reactions: Doddsy7

Doddsy7

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
i recommend mastercooler h500ncase, it cost around 100. It has two 200m fans att the front which will give you A LOT OF AIRFLOW! And you have a exhaust of course. Those fans are rbg as well which improves the looks. You can mount a radiator up to a 280mm at the top of the case if your upgrading your system to a high end one. Yup, it's future proof
Ok thank you

Before you go wasting money on a new case or case fans, do a few tests first.

What is the rest of your system specs? What actual temps are you seeing? Searing hot isn't exactly scientific. Are the fans on the gpu actually running? Are you using any kind of software to monitor the gpu activity, or actual temperatures? If not, try that first. Hwinfo64 is good and will give you gpu and cpu temps. As well as a lot of other info. Also msi afterburner to monitor gpu activity.

Doddsy7

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Before you go wasting money on a new case or case fans, do a few tests first.

What is the rest of your system specs? What actual temps are you seeing? Searing hot isn't exactly scientific. Are the fans on the gpu actually running? Are you using any kind of software to monitor the gpu activity, or actual temperatures? If not, try that first. Hwinfo64 is good and will give you gpu and cpu temps. As well as a lot of other info. Also msi afterburner to monitor gpu activity.
Well I also put a post up on Linus tech tips and they said it’s an issue with the power supply which is highly likely because 1. It’s a very cheap power supply 2. The temps aren’t even that bad, around 60-70 for my gpu and around 50-60 for my cpu