Should I upgrade 2.0?

Jester117

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Hi,

About this time last year I upgraded my graphics card and then posed the question, should I upgrade other parts of my setup? I was considering changing my CPU as this has been in my pc since I made it about 5 - 6 years ago.

Now another year has passed I am wondering the same thing. Should I upgrade my CPU? (and motherboard as required) What I was considering was considering was upgrading my CPU and motherboard as well as getting an SSD later on, for Windows etc.

I understand that with an upgrade of motherboard a change of RAM might be necessary.
I will say however, everything runs well on my pc. Games like battlefield 1 are not the absolute best but it can cope with fairly well.

My current setup is
I5 4590 3.30ghz
16gb Ram
GTX 1060 3gb graphics card
MSI Z97-G43 Motherboard

Any input and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Solution

This makes me think that the answer to your question of whether you should upgrade is a resounding "no."

However, running a hardware monitor on your PC for the sorts of things you most often to or games you most often play will tell you for sure.

Is CPU and/or GPU utilization at the 90%+ range all the time? Or pegged at 100%?

If so, then that component would be the first thing to look at. BUT.... even that, if it has no noticeable effect in your view, then you're likely still fine.

When the PC starts letting you down or noticeably disappointing you, that's when you should consider upgrading.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

This makes me think that the answer to your question of whether you should upgrade is a resounding "no."

However, running a hardware monitor on your PC for the sorts of things you most often to or games you most often play will tell you for sure.

Is CPU and/or GPU utilization at the 90%+ range all the time? Or pegged at 100%?

If so, then that component would be the first thing to look at. BUT.... even that, if it has no noticeable effect in your view, then you're likely still fine.

When the PC starts letting you down or noticeably disappointing you, that's when you should consider upgrading.

Solution