[SOLVED] Should i upgrade cpu or gpu

Dec 17, 2020
Specs:i3 9100f,rx 570, GIGABYTE B365M DS3H,cooler master 240r aio,600 watt power supply.I want a consistant 180+ in r6,fortnite,for honor,csgo,valorant,etc, any suggestions? (budget 170) but if i sell my rx 570 maybe 250.

Solution
What is the EXACT model of your "600w power supply"?

Yes, I'm asking about that because it's PROBABLE this is the weakest link in your build and considering that it's the MOST important component, all things considered, since none of the other hardware can work properly if the power supply isn't working properly, it's rather important. Besides which, you really don't want to upgrade anything if you have a power supply that is of poor or even mediocre quality, without making sure you are going to have a clean, stable power source, first.

Aside from that, it would be helpful to know what resolution and refresh rate your monitor is, since that's going to basically determine what sort of FPS and quality is going to be optimal from your...
What is the EXACT model of your "600w power supply"?

Yes, I'm asking about that because it's PROBABLE this is the weakest link in your build and considering that it's the MOST important component, all things considered, since none of the other hardware can work properly if the power supply isn't working properly, it's rather important. Besides which, you really don't want to upgrade anything if you have a power supply that is of poor or even mediocre quality, without making sure you are going to have a clean, stable power source, first.

Aside from that, it would be helpful to know what resolution and refresh rate your monitor is, since that's going to basically determine what sort of FPS and quality is going to be optimal from your graphics card and CPU.

Solution
So, the PSU has a label on the side of it. On that label is listed the model and probably also the series, but the model for sure. Either find that model and list it here OR take a picture of the label, upload it to imgur.com (Or another image hosting site) and link to it here using the formatting toolbar. Click on the picture box between the smiley face and the links of chain, and past the URL of the hosted image there.

As for the PSU itself, "it was the only one to fit my budget" doesn't really fly as an excuse if you are looking to upgrade something now. Or even if you weren't. It's like saying "I filled my tank with half water and half gas because I needed to drive 200 miles and only had enough gas for half a tank." It just doesn't justify buying a low quality power supply if you can afford to buy decent hardware. It's your own self that you hurt when you do this, not anybody else. So anyhow, lets see what you actually have and go from there because if you have a POS unit, you not only don't want to upgrade your hardware to something even more demanding, you might not even want to continue running it with what you have now because it might be part or even all of the performance issue you are having as it is already. Yes, a poor quality power supply CAN affect performance in a variety of ways, and can also incrementally shorten the life of your graphics card and motherboard if it's bad enough.

Last edited:
T
So, the PSU has a label on the side of it. On that label is listed the model and probably also the series, but the model for sure. Either find that model and list it here OR take a picture of the label, upload it to imgur.com (Or another image hosting site) and link to it here using the formatting toolbar. Click on the picture box between the smiley face and the links of chain, and past the URL of the hosted image there.

As for the PSU itself, "it was the only one to fit my budget" doesn't really fly as an excuse if you are looking to upgrade something now. Or even if you weren't. It's like saying "I filled my tank with half water and half gas because I needed to drive 200 miles and only had enough gas for half a tank." It just doesn't justify buying a low quality power supply if you can afford to buy decent hardware. It's your own self that you hurt when you do this, not anybody else. So anyhow, lets see what you actually have and go from there because if you have a POS unit, you not only don't want to upgrade your hardware to something even more demanding, you might not even want to continue running it with what you have now because it might be part or even all of the performance issue you are having as it is already. Yes, a poor quality power supply CAN affect performance in a variety of ways, and can also incrementally shorten the life of your graphics card and motherboard if it's bad enough.
This being said, assuming it's a half decent psu, I'd suggest cpu upgrade. Something like a 10400F or R5 3600

So you can afford a new AIO, and can upgrade the CPU or GPU card, but CAN'T afford to buy a quality power supply in order to ensure you don't toast all this hardware you're throwing money at? Makes ZERO sense, at all. Good luck, but I think you are going to need it because it's fairly clear you don't understand where your priorities should be. In two years, if in fact you have a low quality power supply, or less, you'll likely start experiencing problems with that motherboard or graphics card and will have NO idea why your hardware is dying early, except that, you will, because I've told you why.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
That's cool. I understand. Doesn't change the fact though. Just trying to make sure that your Christmas present, or upgrade, will last and not be damaged, but since you are unwilling to offer the model of the power supply after multiple repeat attempts to get you to do so I guess all I can say is good luck and merry Christmas anyhow.

Thanks for looking out for me i have a question is the evga supernova g3 750 watt a good power supply?
Yes it is