Question SHould i upgrade from 8gb RAM to 16gb?

Apr 13, 2019
Hi guys right now those are my pc specs:

8GB Ram Ballistix BLS4G4D240FSB.8FBD
Gtx 1060 6GB
AMD Ryzen 5 1600x Six Core
Be quiet Cooler
MSI MS 7A48 VER: 2.0 B350M PRO-VDH

My question is as the title says should i go from 8gb ram to 16gb. My reason is only games oriented. Like the game rust its kind of laggy even with like medium settings. And in general would it be worth it to upgrade my RAM (would it help a lot, a bit, maybe not even worth it).

If you need any other information just tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
How much ram do you use in Rust now? if it uses all your ram, then sure upgrade but if you using Win 10, its pretty good with memory management and making sure it stays out of the way of games or applications that need a lot of ram.

I have 16gb and hardly ever get anywhere past 6gb of usage but then I don't play many games. Most I have ever used was 10gb playing Civ 5

what storage do you use as more ram just puts off the need of the OS to use the storage device to put stuff on, so is boot drive an SSD or hdd? SSD still slower than ram. Lag could be simply game loading data off the storage

Apr 13, 2019
How much ram do you use in Rust now? if it uses all your ram, then sure upgrade but if you using Win 10, its pretty good with memory management and making sure it stays out of the way of games or applications that need a lot of ram.

I have 16gb and hardly ever get anywhere past 6gb of usage but then I don't play many games. Most I have ever used was 10gb playing Civ 5

what storage do you use as more ram just puts off the need of the OS to use the storage device to put stuff on, so is boot drive an SSD or hdd? SSD still slower than ram. Lag could be simply game loading data off the storage

The game uses around 85% to 90% of my RAM. I have an ssd and hdd. Rust, Windows and 1 or 2 more games are on my ssd (since the ssd is faster).

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes, 16gb will help then as PC will have more spare resources to do all its background activities and let game do its thing

game on ssd as well as Windows means it gets hit twice as much as if ram is getting full, PC will use page file which is also on ssd, so writes too from will slow PC down. More ram will remove the writes to page file and let ssd only have to deal with reading data

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well Windows consumes 2~3GB. Approximately there's 5 to 6GB left for game data and also vram data flows in and out of ram as well.

While playing rust for a bit, alt tab and look in task manager under memory for committed size. This will show you how much memory and pagefile is used. Committed combines physical and virtual memory i believe.

16GB ram is pretty much recommended these days with GPUs having more than 4GB vram. Pagefile can grow to huge sizes with less ram.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Q9jsJze.jpg

Apr 13, 2019
Well Windows consumes 2~3GB. Approximately there's 5 to 6GB left for game data and also vram data flows in and out of ram as well.

While playing rust for a bit, alt tab and look in task manager under memory for committed size. This will show you how much memory and pagefile is used. Committed combines physical and virtual memory i believe.

16GB ram is pretty much recommended these days with GPUs having more than 4GB vram. Pagefile can grow to huge sizes with less ram.
So if i am gonna upgrade to 16gb. And lets say i am gonna bis 1x8gb 3000mhz. Is there gonna be a Problem if my current stick 2x4gb ram has 2400mhz and the new one 3000mhz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So if i am gonna upgrade to 16gb. And lets say i am gonna bis 1x8gb 3000mhz. Is there gonna be a Problem if my current stick 2x4gb ram has 2400mhz and the new one 3000mhz

Better off buying a set of 2x 8GB and selling your current set or keep as spare. It get's too complicated combining different set ram and often causes problems.

PS. Good video Colif. You should see that video if you haven't Apibson.

Reactions: Apibson
Apr 13, 2019
Better off buying a set of 2x 8GB and selling your current set or keep as spare. It get's too complicated combining different set ram and often causes problems.

Ill check it out, and thank you for the Help.

Reactions: boju

Colif

Win 11 Master
better to have 2 sticks that are sold together and known to work instead of trying to match two sticks, as you can get weird errors with matched pairs. It even happens if both sticks are same brand and speeds, because if they weren't sold together they may not work nice together. Only get more fun if you buy 4 sticks in 2 pairs and try to get them to get along.

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
I just did it, upgraded it yesterday.
AAAANNND.... IT MAKES A MAJOR DIFFERENCE. I get up to 30 FPS more in games like PUBG, RailWorks. But the major difference is that I now rock a dual channel. If you only have one stick, YES, DO IT!

PUBG now eats 7500 mb of RAM... so 8 gigs for that would be bad.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My last PC only had 4gb of ram and 32bit os, and it was constantly using page file just to run what i considered normal. When I swapped to new PC with 16gb ram, I noticed it would easily use 4.2gb with same workload and it being 64bit also meant the memory addresses used by the GPU didn't bite into the addresses used by ram, meaning my usage on the previous PC was hammering page file a lot more than I realised.

4gb on 32bit only lets you use 3.5gb max and GPU vram would bite into that more. So I would fill that easy and then rest of windows would run from hdd.. no wonder it felt so slow, and no wonder I was constantly losing space on hdd. I couldn't work out why... back 5 years ago when I didn't know what I do now.

now I have too much ram for what I need but means page file is never used and ssd/hdd can sleep most days without being written to a great deal.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
now I have too much ram for what I need but means page file is never used and ssd/hdd can sleep most days without being written to a great deal.

Me too i think, but have noticed from 16GB, exiting Ghost Recon Wildlands was quicker but ingame wasn't any different with 32GB.

Only reason i have more ram was because i was troubleshooting a reboot problem which turned out to be the psu and Australian stores i know of don't sell decent DDR3 brands anymore so got them from newegg.au. Thought id try adding the ram together (same specs) and got lucky.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is such a thing as too much :)

You should make a ram disk or something with the extra.

Enough videos around showing 16gb is still enough for most people this year, unless they play Star Citizen, and it just needs optimisation still. It can use 24gb easy.

Reactions: boju
Apr 13, 2019
go for 24gb ram, when you play new games that requires a lot of ram avaiable, at the same time you do alt tab to open another things, maybe a lot of chrome windows and more, then you will need more ram than the recommended

Apr 13, 2019

Ohh yeah 1 more question. How many pins does my RAM stick need to have?