Should I upgrade from FX-6300

AnonymousONIagent

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Currently I'm using an FX-6300 paired with a GTX 970 for gaming. It works just fine overall, but I fear I may not be getting quite as much performance out of my 970 as I'd like to be. Still, I've decided that I'm going to stick with the AM3+ platform at least until AMD releases their Zen CPUs next year, at which point I'll either upgrade to that platform or to whatever Intel has competing with it depending on what's better.

My question, however, is whether or not it would be worthwhile for me to spend my money on a better processor on the same platform in the meantime, either the FX-8320 or FX-8350. I've heard conflicting statements as to what kind of performance advantages I'd get out of such an upgrade, so I've decided to actually ask somewhere in hopes of getting a clearer answer.

So what's the better option? Stick with the FX-6300 until Zen comes out, or get an 8-core while I'm waiting?

You would get NO big improvement so I would advise against it. Unless you are using an application what needs the extra cores; which is none if we are just talking about gaming. Just save your money and cross your fingers and wait for Zen.