Question Should I upgrade from i5 2500k to i5 9500F?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 15, 2019
My old motherboard has 4 slots for RAM and out of those 3 are dead and hence I cannot buy and use a new RAM on those. Only one 8GB RAM is running now on the working slot and its only a matter of time before it dies as well. My CPU and Mobo are from 2011. My CPU is i5 2500k.
Now I have no choice but to buy a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. I am a gamer and a graphic designer and video editor. I use a lot of Adobe softwares and do occasional HD rendering. Which CPU do you guys recommend to me as an upgrade for i5 2500k? After some research, I am considering i5 9500F as its very new and cheap. I am interested only in Intel processors and not AMD.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019
If you do Adobe stuff, don't consider -f chips. That said, any 9th-gen chip will do the trick depending on your budget. Thing is, from the point of view of bang for buck, right now nothing beats a Ryzen on a B450 or X470 chipset.
I understand InvalidError's points, they do have merits, but while BIOS flashing could be a dangerous endeavor 10 years ago it is now rather safe on most mid-range and better motherboards, and is actually considered rather trivial today.
As for the socket stuff, both CPU makers have been using the same sockets for years. But while Intel artificially limits compatibility, AMD makes it up to the user - if you'd rather get a same generation chipset for your CPU, you can; if you'd rather save money, with AMD you can too.

Can you tell me why u are advising me against buying a F CPU for adobe? Is it because it lacks IGPU? I already have a new nvidia GTX 1050 GPU which will support 9400F

It isn't flashing that I am worried about, it is the beta-state of launch-week 3rd-gen BIOS. I find it concerning that launch-day boards need launch-day BIOS update, then another update, then gets that update rolled back because it caused too many issues.
I don't share your worries - most BIOS woes came from board makers shipping BIOSes for boards that were already out.
And this is not limited to AMD : my Z97 board got a new BIOS every month after I bought it, and it had already been out for quite a while.
When I started building computers, a BIOS flash was often required for compatibility reasons between extension cards; then, most common hardware was integrated in the motherboard while expansion cards would host their firmware in RAM and BIOS updates became very rare - most compatibility problems were solved through driver updates.
Now however, x86 CPU basically contain their own OS - what OS nowadays require no update? What OS comes out without a day 1 fix?

InvalidError

Titan
Yes we (me and the comoputer technician) tried all this. We tried the existing RAM on all 4 and it worked only on the 1st. We did this again for the new one and it also worked on the 1st.
If all DIMMs work in slot #1 and none of the others on two different boards, then the DIMMs and motherboard are likely perfectly fine and it probably is the CPU that has a damaged memory controller - critical damage to the 2nd channel (unusable) and at least one dead rank-select pin for the 2nd channel's 2nd DIMM on whichever channel is still functional.

Jul 15, 2019
Thank you everyone for your valuable opinions. I have finally bought

Intel i5 9400F
Gigabyte H310M S2 Motherboard
CORSAIR 16GB Vengeance RAM and
CORSAIR 550W SMPS.

I already had
Nvidia GTX 1050
Circle Gaming Cabinet
Circle Gaming Keyboard

Now my Gaming PC is complete :)