Should I upgrade from I5-4590 to I7-4790 or not?

lucasjuncker

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
So. I have had problems with my CPU bottlenecking quite for a while now and I am getting pretty tired of it. The best CPU my Motherboard supports is I7-4790 which is quite expensive. So I tried looking into a new Motherboard to get the I7-7700k instead but then I also had to buy new DDR4 RAM because of the Motherboard change since I couldn't find any Motherboards with DDR3 support that was Socket 1151 so I had to stick with the I7-4790. So I found this offer on Ebay and I was wondering if it was worth it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4790-3-6GHZ-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-LGA1150-8M-Cache-up-to-4-00Ghz/232575551098?hash=item362695467a%3Ag%3A2cAAAOSwQvhZfaNb (Let me know if you need any more info)

Solution

Like the other guys, I...

lucasjuncker

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

Alright Ill save up for the I7-7700k/I7-8700k Then, thank you for the answer

It depends on the game. You still have a good CPU. I don't know if it is worth it just for hyperthreading. Some games that use more threads will see a performance boost such as BF1. But most games don't see a whole lot of scaling from 4 to 8 threads. I would not buy it unless it was a really good deal.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
While you may not be able to overclock, any LGA1151 motherboard should support a I7-4790K.
Your I5-4590 has 4 threads and runs at 3.6 with a 4.0 turbo.
A I7-4790K has 8 threads runs at 4.0 stock with a 4.4 turbo.
If your motherboard chipset were capable of overclocking, the numbers would be higher, but even at stock, that is a nice upgrade.

When you say bottlenecking, what apps are the problem?
If you are gaming, then single thread capability is likely the cause.
If you mean multithreaded batch apps then the number of threads will be the limiter.

If you are looking for a new upgrade, 8th gen I5-8600K is the best for gaming, and I7-8700K is best for multithreading.
Ryzen is also good for multiple threads
Yes.... plan on a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

Like the other guys, I recommend against the upgrade. The 4590 and 4790 are very close in performance. Even the faster i7-4790K is not much faster.

I suggest you take greater care with what is running in the background. Clean out %temp% and %windir%\temp on a regular basis. Run malwarebytes anti-malware on a weekly basis. If you have a HD not a SSD, defrag it. Also run chkdsk /f/r on it on a monthly basis (or every other month would be fine). Use autoruns (part of the free sysinternals tools from Microsoft) to see what is starting with your system.

Then once you have the money saved up for a coffeelake cpu (their numbers start with 8, for example the i7-8700k) then upgrade. You will need to include a motherboard and fast DDR 4 ram as well. So a costly upgrade (400-800 depending on what bits you opt for). Also if you are not running Windows 10, a CPU above your current one would require Windows 10.

Solution

lucasjuncker

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

My motherboard is an ASUS B85M-G Socket 1150

COD WW2, Battlefield 1

Is DDR4 Ram a lot better than DDR3? I just dont feel the price to be worth it

ddr4 is faster than ddr3, particularly if you get the "good stuff". It does make a difference to your system, but less than a good GPU or CPU does.

But upgrading to ddr4 or not is not an option. Once you get ready to get a faster CPU, you will not have a choice; All of the newer processors use ddr4.

For now just try to squeeze more out of your current system and save up.