Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
My current setup is as follows:

- Intel i5-6600
- ASUS H170 PRO GAMING
- G.skill 2400 Mhz 8GB x 2
- SAMSUNG NVMe 960 SSD 512 GB
- Nvidia Geforce 980 Ti

I currently game on a 1440p 144hz monitor, and my fps is usually less than 60-100 on high graphics settings. I would like it to be higher. On other CPU intensive games (e.g. Stellaris, Planet Coaster), my fps can drop to 20-30.

Should I upgrade my CPU to something like the 8600k (which I can overclock)? I know this will mean a new motherboard as well. Or is the limiting factor the GPU, in which case should I wait for Volta to be out?

Solution
If you want to play at 1440p and reach 144fps at the same time, you will need at least an i7 to be able to process that amount of framerates per second. But since you are talking about the Coffee lake processors, the i5 8600K is a hexa core, with excellent single core performance, so it should be fine.

if you want to reach higher framerates, I suggest getting GTX 1070, since it has 2GB more frame buffer.

Look, Volta was never made for gaming, through its architecture. It's for AI and cloud computing. Next year Nvidia MAY release a gaming architecture that will be the successor of Pascal, which is rumoured to be named 'Ampere', but take that as a grain of salt.

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
If you want to play at 1440p and reach 144fps at the same time, you will need at least an i7 to be able to process that amount of framerates per second. But since you are talking about the Coffee lake processors, the i5 8600K is a hexa core, with excellent single core performance, so it should be fine.

if you want to reach higher framerates, I suggest getting GTX 1070, since it has 2GB more frame buffer.

Look, Volta was never made for gaming, through its architecture. It's for AI and cloud computing. Next year Nvidia MAY release a gaming architecture that will be the successor of Pascal, which is rumoured to be named 'Ampere', but take that as a grain of salt.

Solution