Question Should i upgrade my CPU?

Are you experiencing slow down? Poor frame rates? Stuttering? Anything wrong with gameplay?

What are you running as a GPU? What are your frame rates?

I'm asking a lot of questions because your CPU is basically an absolute monster. There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't be running the game well. Neither the i7 8700K nor the i5 9600K should be considered an upgrade. It could be settings, or it could be that the game just isn't that demanding. Fortnite isn't exactly a cutting edge title. It is probably using all that it is designed to use.

Mar 9, 2019
Are you experiencing slow down? Poor frame rates? Stuttering? Anything wrong with gameplay?

What are you running as a GPU? What are your frame rates?

I'm asking a lot of questions because your CPU is basically an absolute monster. There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't be running the game well. Neither the i7 8700K nor the i5 9600K should be considered an upgrade. It could be settings, or it could be that the game just isn't that demanding. Fortnite isn't exactly a cutting edge title. It is probably using all that it is designed to use.
  1. I dont experience any slowdowns, but with my high end setup, i only experience low frame rates in the end games (Scrims and stuff). Wehn i look at Mongraal f.e. with an intel CPU and a 1080ti, which i have too, he has more then 110FPS whilke i am stuck at 60-.80 in the endgame...
  2. Im running a 1080Ti

You can see my clocks and ratio shit in the link i posted...

Different systems just run in different ways. The first thing I'd do is go over your settings again, or have the GeForce Experience software optimize your settings. Make sure that V-Sync is turned off.

There is absolutely no hardware reason that the 2700X shouldn't be within a handful of frames of an Intel based system. In almost all benchmarks I've seen of Fortnite the 2700X is nearly equal to the 8700K, being within a few frames.

Honestly your hardware looks good, the only question I have is your gaming monitor, which is a Freesync monitor on an NVidia card. It isn't a problem, and wouldn't impact framerates unless you were trying to use GSync on a Freesync monitor that hasn't been validated by NVidia.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
You should defiantly go with Intel processors as they are lot better than AMD (my option on experience), Go with a new i7 I would recommend for gaming. I have a I9 but I game and do other workloads so I need the threads etc, but you wont need the extra threads just cores and clock speeds.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fortnite is optimized for 8 threads, so you should be seeing usage closer to 50% cpu, not 20-30%.

Do you have the latest bios update and any/all motherboard chipset drivers, not just nvidia? Windows updates can affect audio/Lan drivers especially.

It's a Ryzen, what ram do you have, is it in the right positions, is it running as it should?
Your ram reports 2137MHz. For a Ryzen that's not good, you are taking upto a 20% performance hit vrs 3200. Ddr4 default speed is 2133MHz, so how it can be 2137 under XMP, I dunno. It's also stating slots #1 #2. For Ryzen dual channel, ram should be in DIMM slots A2 and B2. That's usually #2 and #4.

Last edited:
Something is wrong with your system, check Ryzen Master to make sure all your cores are enabled and legacy support is turned off.

I'm only using a Ryzen 1600 clocked at 3.8ghz and a Vega 64 (which is 10-15%inferior to nvidia GTX1080 in Fortnite). I play at 1440p and have all graphics set to epic except for shadows, which I run at medium because I can't see some people in the dark areas when I run shadows at epic, and I have motion blur turned off because It makes me dizzy. I have the fps cap set to 120fps and I'm ususally running at the cap except for a few frames where it'll drop down to 80-90fps briefly. But since I'm running freesync I don't notice it.

With your 1080ti, you should be maxing out the frame cap. Make sure you don't have vsync or frame limit set to 60 or whatever. You should be running at the frame limit with 1080p, with occasional dips, but those dips should be over 100fps.

Mar 9, 2019
Fortnite is optimized for 8 threads, so you should be seeing usage closer to 50% cpu, not 20-30%.

Do you have the latest bios update and any/all motherboard chipset drivers, not just nvidia? Windows updates can affect audio/Lan drivers especially.

It's a Ryzen, what ram do you have, is it in the right positions, is it running as it should?
Your ram reports 2137MHz. For a Ryzen that's not good, you are taking upto a 20% performance hit vrs 3200. Ddr4 default speed is 2133MHz, so how it can be 2137 under XMP, I dunno. It's also stating slots #1 #2. For Ryzen dual channel, ram should be in DIMM slots A2 and B2. That's usually #2 and #4.
I think it is a bug with 2137 MHz... Im running 2 Ram-latches in dual channel with 3200 MHz each...My Motherboar dis up to dat, windoiws and nvidia are up to date too

Mar 9, 2019
Different systems just run in different ways. The first thing I'd do is go over your settings again, or have the GeForce Experience software optimize your settings. Make sure that V-Sync is turned off.

There is absolutely no hardware reason that the 2700X shouldn't be within a handful of frames of an Intel based system. In almost all benchmarks I've seen of Fortnite the 2700X is nearly equal to the 8700K, being within a few frames.

Honestly your hardware looks good, the only question I have is your gaming monitor, which is a Freesync monitor on an NVidia card. It isn't a problem, and wouldn't impact framerates unless you were trying to use GSync on a Freesync monitor that hasn't been validated by NVidia.
G-Sync is turned off...

Mar 9, 2019
Sounds like you are hitting a single-threaded performance bottleneck, not much you can do about it other than switch to an Intel-based system if your want to duplicate the higher frame rates Intel tends to get in most games.
I dont know much about technology, but i think i heard somewhere, that i can make 1 core with more hz out of one?

Mar 9, 2019
You should defiantly go with Intel processors as they are lot better than AMD (my option on experience), Go with a new i7 I would recommend for gaming. I have a I9 but I game and do other workloads so I need the threads etc, but you wont need the extra threads just cores and clock speeds.
I know... but intel processors are so expensive and i need a new motherboard for that... What Intel Processor woukld you recommend for me for gaming?

Mar 9, 2019

View: https://imgur.com/a/7QdoSM6