[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my GPU instead my CPU?

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
Hey. I intend to stream on a single PC on my GPU (NVENC) with my 1070 but I do struggle to stream on 1080p, it seems like it's too much load on the GPU.
I have 2600X, 3200Mhz 16GB, 750W PSU, B350M-D3H.

I always thought about upgrading my CPU and the motherboard, but I fear my GPU is the main problem for my goal? What do you guys think?
Should I get my hands on a second hand 2070 RTX if I can for quite cheap? A reliable one of course.

Solution
I wanted to upgrade my CPU for a while but I realized my GPU is just as weak and even weaker for my utilization (streaming on NVENC).
How hard will my CPU hold me back if I do get 3060 ti, or 2070?

Considering that you're streaming, your GPU is probably higher priority at this point. Like @Prad_Bitt said, the 3060 Ti is probably your best bet (if you are able to get one in stock; expect them to sell out). Your CPU has low clock speeds and low IPC, but at least it has 6 cores and 12 threads, so that's good. Buy a 3060 Ti and then upgrade your CPU to a Ryzen 5600 down the road.
Hey. I intend to stream on a single PC on my GPU (NVENC) with my 1070 but I do struggle to stream on 1080p, it seems like it's too much load on the GPU.

I always thought about upgrading my CPU and the motherboard, but I fear my GPU is the main problem for my goal? What do you guys think?
Should I get my hands on a second hand 2070 RTX if I can for quite cheap? A reliable one of course.
For NVENC, upgrade GPU. 2070 isn't worth it anymore. It's just a rebranded 1080. 3060 Ti is out for $400. Get one asap. It's better than a 1080 Ti. Equal to a 2080 Super

Reactions: dotas1

You'll be better served by finding out your CPU and GPU utilisation while you're gaming/streaming and then making a determination from there as to which component is holding you back the most. By just making an educated guess, you run the risk of spending a lot of money and not fixing the problem you were hoping to fix.

xivizor

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
You'll be better served by finding out your CPU and GPU utilisation while you're gaming/streaming and then making a determination from there as to which component is holding you back the most. By just making an educated guess, you run the risk of spending a lot of money and not fixing the problem you were hoping to fix.

I wanted to upgrade my CPU for a while but I realized my GPU is just as weak and even weaker for my utilization (streaming on NVENC).

Considering that you're streaming, your GPU is probably higher priority at this point. Like @Prad_Bitt said, the 3060 Ti is probably your best bet (if you are able to get one in stock; expect them to sell out). Your CPU has low clock speeds and low IPC, but at least it has 6 cores and 12 threads, so that's good. Buy a 3060 Ti and then upgrade your CPU to a Ryzen 5600 down the road.

Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished
For NVENC, upgrade GPU. 2070 isn't worth it anymore. It's just a rebranded 1080. 3060 Ti is out for $400. Get one asap. It's better than a 1080 Ti. Equal to a 2080 Super

It most certainly is NOT a rebranded 1080. Where did you get this false information from? Turing is in no way related to Pascal. You should not post in tech forums when you do not know what you are talking about.

TRENDING THREADS