Question Should i upgrade my graphics card from Asus geforce gtx 1080 rog strix oc edition 8gb to a newer version with more ram?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I currently have a Asus geforce gtx 1080 8gb rog strix oc edition.

My pc:
  • Asus tuf mark 2 motherboard
  • intel i9 7900x
  • 64 gb of g-skill 3200mhz ddr4 ram
-2 tb of samsung 970 Evo plus ssd
- (2) 34" 4k curved gaming monitors with 165hz

Will upgrading my GPu really make a noticeable difference?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I think you should get a 3080 if you're running 4k, why did you get a 4k monitor in the first place with that card because it must be really laggy and chopping in games or?
Well i have had my Alienware 34" from when i built my pc and i have never had an issue with lag or chopping. But surprisingly my Alienware 34" has 3440x1440 resolution with it overclocked at 120hz and my new monitor is a Samsung G5 odyssey with 3440x1440 resolution and 165hz but for some reason the Alienware has a much better picture and thats what i use for my gaming and the graphics look great and no lagging or chopping but id like to upgrade the gpu if it really will make a noticeable difference. my Asus geforce gtx 1080 is capable of the 4k resolution why do you say why would i get a 4k monitor if i only have a 1080? What is the list of actual differences between the 1080 and the 3080? I havent changed yet because i thought the 1080 was capable of the resolution my monitors are capable of?

Right off the Asus web site it says...
"ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080 OC edition 8GB GDDR5X with Aura Sync RGB for best VR & 4K gaming "

Last edited:

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
To me the 1080 strix on 4k is a mixed bag of decent FPS and 45 FPS etc. I guess with fiddling with the graphics and depending on games you can have a great experience. How was your experience playing all those triple A titles etc?

The 3080 is said to be able to max all modern games and games coming out in the next few years at 60 FPS stable minimum on a 4k resolution maxed out with raytracing, and older titles you are going to get 100+ FPS and more, that's juicy.

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
It depends on what games you're playing with the 1080 and what you expect from it. . If you're not some pro gamer playing for money I think the 1080 is a great card for the average player. I have the 1080 ti and play at the 1440 settings and some at very high setting. have no intentions of changing to a different gpu but, I'm not playing the most demanding games either. I play Diablo3 , the Witcher, Dragon Age Origins etc on ultra settings with no problems and very happily.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Well when i do play its usually first person shooters like the newest call of duty and stuff like that. But im definitely not a hardcore gamer. I built my pc and play games just for a hobby. i would like the best resolution i can get on these monitors. The resolution has been pretty good from this gpu but if i can really get a noticeable difference with a new gpu then i may do it.

Reactions: RagedAPE

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
ive been benchmarking my cpu and all the hardware in my pc and im not happy with the numbers at all. What else besides my gpu can i upgrade so i can overclock my pc and get better benchmark numbers? I have storage space with the samsung 970 evo plus ssd and a pretty decent processor. i thought 48 gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram would be enough? the one thing i know i need to upgrade is my liquid cooler. i really need a custom loop to cool as much as i can i know that.

ive been benchmarking my cpu and all the hardware in my pc and im not happy with the numbers at all. What else besides my gpu can i upgrade so i can overclock my pc and get better benchmark numbers? I have storage space with the samsung 970 evo plus ssd and a pretty decent processor. i thought 48 gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram would be enough? the one thing i know i need to upgrade is my liquid cooler. i really need a custom loop to cool as much as i can i know that.
What numbers are you looking at? Also keep in mind that if you're comparing your results with user-submitted benchmarks like in Userbenchmark or 3DMark, the top posters are using heavily overclocked systems, possibly competition level overclocking. Unless you have a phase change cooler and the hardware to match, you're never going to hit those numbers.

The amount of RAM you have is enough. I daresay, more than enough. Unless you're actively running out of RAM, you're not going to see a performance hit.