Question Should I upgrade my i5-4690K for gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blu3_Puls3

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
System Specs:

GTX970
i5-4690K cpu
16 GB DDR3 RAM
H97-PLUS Motherboard
TX650 psu

So lately my games been kinda stuttering, mainly newer games such as Resident Evil 2, Darksiders 3, Monster Hunter World for example. This is at any setting regardless of high or low. I had this build made in 2015 of January so it is 4 years old now. The reason why I think I may need to upgrade my cpu is because for the last 3 years, I only had one fan running in the case and that was in the very front. This resulted in my PC getting pretty hot as I was able to tell just by touching it. I might've damaged my cpu overtime. I don't know how the temperatures were because I recently installed 3 brand new case fans and now its very cool. However my games still stutter/freeze.

I'm not entirely sure how reliable the i5-4690K is today with games being more complex and intensive so should I upgrade my cpu? I don't really have a budget in mind, I can go to maybe $300 range. In terms of what settings I play they run at 1080p 60fps with Vsync on due to an HDTV as my monitor.

If yes, you guys have any specific ideas in mind? Budget isn't too much of an issue.

Last edited:
I had been running into those VRAM stutters with my GTX 970 more frequently lately than I used to, as newer games (and updates to older games) have been gobbling up more and more VRAM than ever.

You can pick up a used 1070 or 1070ti on Ebay for a pretty decent price (~200-270 depending on which model). More than enough power for 1080p, if that's what you're aiming for.