[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my i5-9600k to a Ryzen 5 5600x?

jack.h.tierney

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
So right now I am running a 9600k. My 14 year old son is running a 4690k. So I am thinking of upgrading to a 5600x (once they're available) and giving him my 9600k. Do you think it would be a worthwhile upgrade? it would mainly be used for gaming but he does do streaming on twitch and I use it to record music and some basic editing.

Solution
What kinds of games do you play?
If you play fast action games, then a good upgrade might be a stronger graphics card.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are cpu limited, a processor upgrade makes sense.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
If you have a z390/z490 motherboard some 25% added cpu capability is available via overclocking.

If you will also change the motherboard, a 5600X makes sense.
The higher IPC is impressive. The single thread performance is...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you think about it as an upgrade from the 4690k system, then it's worth it. the bonus being that the son gets the better 9600k system and you get the newest 5600x one.

but as others have noted, going from the 9600k to the 5600x is not that big of a jump to justify it. so it boils down to can you convince yourself it is worth it for your son to step up with his system :)

i upgraded from a 4690k to a 3700x and it is night and day difference. well worth it. and of course the 5600x is even stronger

What kinds of games do you play?
If you play fast action games, then a good upgrade might be a stronger graphics card.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are cpu limited, a processor upgrade makes sense.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
If you have a z390/z490 motherboard some 25% added cpu capability is available via overclocking.

If you will also change the motherboard, a 5600X makes sense.
The higher IPC is impressive. The single thread performance is what matters to most games once you have 4-6 threads.
12 threads is probably more than you can effectively use for gaming.
Multiplayer excepted.

As you said, 5000 series processors are hard to find at any price, let alone anywhere MSRP.
Unless you are in a hurry, I would wait to see what intel rocket lake brings.

Solution