[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb?

Dec 20, 2020
Hi guys, just wondered (i.e. my brother has been sometimes getting 20 fps with ultra settings in The Witcher 3) if I should upgrade my GPU, given that my processor is a ryzen 7 1700.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Solution
Sli is dead. The 1060 doesn't support sli, you'd need a 1070 or higher, 2070 Super or higher or a 3090.

Gpu's abilities are finally outpacing gaming requirements, especially for 1080p and for a good chunk of games at 1440p, so the necessity for multiple cards has become obsolete to get good fps.

The 1060 is still respectable for 1080p, but it's fps is determined by the cpu, and especially the game code.

Start with ultra, then customize that. Drop viewing distance, lighting affects, nameplates and any other cpu bound settings to medium/low. That'll leave a clear definition between cpu and gpu outputs. Note the fps levels in game. Then drop the settings to medium/low preset. If fps jumps up, then the gpu was struggling at the higher...

iq7

Dec 18, 2020
yes , the life of your CPU will be shortened, but you can find the recommended minimum and maximum vCore for your CPU. and those settings are relatively safe .

Dec 20, 2020
yes , the life of your CPU will be shortened, but you can find the recommended minimum and maximum vCore for your CPU. and those settings are relatively safe .
mmm... feels a tad too technical for me... I feel like I'd rather spend the money now for an upgrade (if there's a good option to go for, hardware-wise). but thank you for the help iq7!

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Could always SLI another 1060 if you have the space, or the lack of budget. I imagine you could get one pretty cheap off ebay or similar.
Definitely DON'T do this, SLI is highly unsupported and a waste of money. Get a 3060Ti if you can find one to buy, otherwise just save your money until you can get it or a 6700XT when it comes out.

Dec 20, 2020
Definitely DON'T do this, SLI is highly unsupported and a waste of money. Get a 3060Ti if you can find one to buy, otherwise just save your money until you can get it or a 6700XT when it comes out.
I was under the impression this wasn't the case but I've not done it so I wouldn't know

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sli is dead. The 1060 doesn't support sli, you'd need a 1070 or higher, 2070 Super or higher or a 3090.

Gpu's abilities are finally outpacing gaming requirements, especially for 1080p and for a good chunk of games at 1440p, so the necessity for multiple cards has become obsolete to get good fps.

The 1060 is still respectable for 1080p, but it's fps is determined by the cpu, and especially the game code.

Start with ultra, then customize that. Drop viewing distance, lighting affects, nameplates and any other cpu bound settings to medium/low. That'll leave a clear definition between cpu and gpu outputs. Note the fps levels in game. Then drop the settings to medium/low preset. If fps jumps up, then the gpu was struggling at the higher settings and choking the fps output. If fps really didn't move much of any, then it's the cpu that's not supplying the higher frame rates, it's topped out and the gpu isn't an issue.

Cpu low fps output can be anything from trash in temp files to registry settings, ram usage, pagefile usage, temp issues, malware, anything.

Solution