Should I Upgrade My Processor and Mobo or Just Buy A New Mobo?

ridle8

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Hello pros,

I need your advice whether I better off with new Procie and Mobo or just buy a new Mobo. Months ago I was about to turn my PC on after I plugged the HDD and GPU (I moved to another city, thus I unplugged said components just to be safe). When I turn my PC, it start for 1-2 seconds then shutdown, then my volt stabilizer fuse break. Tried again,with direct power and with stabilizer (new fuse), the PC started but no display detected, no beep (normally it beeps), no power on USB.

my pc spec:

• Mobo: Jetway m3-760GSM (i guess, it's combo mobo 2xddr2 and 2xddr3 slot available)
    Procie: AMD Phenom II x4 945
    Memory: Ripjaws Blue 2x4GB DDR3
    GPU: Gigabyte R7 260x 2GB
    PSU: Corsair 500CX
    HDD: WD Blue (500GB or 700GB, idk)

I'm thinking about these options:

1.Buy a replacement Mobo
    2.Wait my next paycheck so I have another $150-$250 to spend (currently I have $150) to buy Procie and Mobo
    3.Maybe you pros have a suggestion for upgradable and compatible mobo in mind
    4.Literally anything :) I'm looking specs that will be upgradable independently to high-end for up to 5-7 years from now if possible

So far (last time the PC worked is last July) I have no complaints about the performance, it run good enough for me playing NBA2k17 (high settings) and LoL (Maximum setting, cap 60fps). I mostly use the PC for network lab (GNS3 etc) and gaming, well as long as it run on high setting 60fps (with some parameters on mid), ultra setting is just my wet dream.

Sorry if I came out like an oversharing lil bitxh, and thanks in advance :bounce:

Solution
i would say sell your existing system cpu and ram, and reuse everything else.

and get a new cpu. mobo and ram..
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXzy4q
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXzy4q/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $315.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-29 13:57 EDT-0400

or if you want to go intel.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hdmhkd
Price breakdown by merchant...
i would say sell your existing system cpu and ram, and reuse everything else.

and get a new cpu. mobo and ram..
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXzy4q
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXzy4q/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $315.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-29 13:57 EDT-0400

or if you want to go intel.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hdmhkd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hdmhkd/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($117.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($55.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $252.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-29 13:58 EDT-0400

Solution
intel is cheaper, and would give you a good price to performance,

amd is more expensive, but give you better upgrade path till 2020. of course you can choose a slower cpu such as ryzen 3 1300x or ryzen 5 1500.

however, imo r5 1600 is the best budget option due to launching of the new 2xxx series cpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With that cpu, you are fast approaching the Cliff of Obsoleteness. A new mobo won't slow down or prevent you from flying off the edge. Sorry to say but software is pushing you hard in that direction and the only escape is a new platform since the older stuff costs just as much as brand new due to supply and demand.

Your best option for some longevity would be the i5-8400 or Ryzen R5 1600, both of which will handle anything decently.

Have you tried removing your videocard and using onboard graphics? Before I spent money I'd try to figure out the problem.

Assuming you want to buy something, I'd say if you did invest in a AM3 motherboard aim for something better than a 760 chipset motherboard. A 770 or 870 is the least I'd consider. The 7xxG models were all low budget general purpose motherboards. Even so, with a Phenom II x4 and 260x, you will have to stick to games like LoL, since that's a pretty low end gaming setup where more demanding games are concerned.

To get anything worth upgrading in the future you will need to move to a new CPU/motherboard/DDR4 platform. Due to the price of DDR4 these days, it might strain your budget.

ridle8

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply,
I'm afraid I cant buy it through international online shop like amazon. I live in Indonesia, I don't have credit card as well. But I will look for your AMD suggestion in Indonesia. So far, I can't find the Ripjaws V series (2x4GB) and Asrock x370 Pro4 in any local online shop (Tokopedia, Bukalapak, Lazada, etc).
Mostly on the market :

• Asrock x370 Taichi
    Asrock x370 Gaming
    Asus Prime A320M-K
    Gskill Ripjaws4
    Gskill Ripjaws V series 16GB (2x8)
Also do I really better off with DDR4? I mean, its kinda hard to sell my current memory. Is there any good alternative? About the PSU and Heatsink, its good no? (Corsair CX500 and Cooler Master Hyper 101)

ridle8

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018

Thanks bro,
So upgrade the Mobo and Procie yeah? Should I go with DDR3 or DDR4 Mobo? Well, I mean the currently I only have DDR3 Memory, is it worth for 2-3 years more?

ridle8

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018

Thanks,
so new DDR4 Memory, Procie, and Mobo? Yes I tried it with onboard output, no luck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's really only 1 ddr3 setup I'd even consider recommending, if budget is that tight and that would be an i7-4790k. But even used prices will put you at $300+ so for the almost same amount, you can get brand new stuff, including ram.

I'd donate the old stuff to a school or something similar, or sell it on eBay and get a few bucks back, and just replace the whole platform. You'll get a better probable usable lifespan, vendor/factory warranty, and better options for stuff like storage, Wi-Fi, RGB, pcie etc.

ridle8

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018

I see, Im concerned about the PSU and Heatsink. Will the current 500w CPU suffice for the nowadays system? Also I read about the current heatsink, it support AM4 socket, so no need to replace it ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With a psu, the entire system is covered just fine, you'd really have to look around for an uber small, 125-250w psu to have any real worries on basic functionality. Consequently, the psu is really determined/governed by just 1 component. The GPU. You can do anything basic with a 500w psu, and if keeping your current gpu, there's almost no difference in overall ability.

AM4 is AMD, Summit Ridge (Ryzen), Raven/Bristol Ridge (the APU's like 2200G etc) and Pinnacle Ridge (Zen+) cpus.

Intel is Intel, they haven't changed pin dimensions in forever, so any lga115x series fits, doesn't matter if it's lga1155 or lga1151, all the same.

So if you opt for Amd platform, there's only 1 concern. The website says it's compatible with AM4 because there's now an included AM4 bracket. Depending on the age of the heatsink, it may not have come with that bracket, AM4 is still pretty new, so you may have to contact the cooler manufacturer and they'll either send you one or you'll have to purchase one.

ridle8

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018

Alright, thank you for your advice :) Yeah, I checked on my local store, the Ryzen is bundled with a heatsink (wraith spire), saw some reviews about it, they say its pretty decent. Now the hard part, selling them RAM(s). I will close this thread as solved. Thank you pros