Question Should I upgrade my R7 3800x to a R7 5800x3D?

Mysuki

Commendable
Nov 28, 2021
Hello everyone!
The 5800x3D is on a good price/promotion this week where I'm from.
My currently setup is:
3070ti - R7 3800x - 2x16 3200mhz.
Do you guys think it's a good upgrade?Everyone talks so good about the 3D cache.
I don't have enough money for the new 7000 series because I'll have to change my motherboard as well :(

Moving from Zen 2 to Zen 3 is a decent upgrade in and of itself. I'd say get it.

Keep in mind you may have to upgrade your cooling solution, but try it with the current one first to see how the temperatures are.

EDIT: Also check to make sure your motherboard can support the CPU, then upgrade to the latest UEFI version.

Reactions: artk2219

Mysuki

Commendable
Nov 28, 2021
Moving from Zen 2 to Zen 3 is a decent upgrade in and of itself. I'd say get it.

Keep in mind you may have to upgrade your cooling solution, but try it with the current one first to see how the temperatures are.

EDIT: Also check to make sure your motherboard can support the CPU, then upgrade to the latest UEFI version.
Isn't the TDP the same? Mine always goes from 50-65C max temperature. From a few videos on YouTube, the 5800x is just 1-3C higher on some cases, but not always.

Isn't the TDP the same? Mine always goes from 50-65C max temperature. From a few videos on YouTube, the 5800x is just 1-3C higher on some cases, but not always.

If you have a quality tower cooler or 240mm AIO you'll be just fine. The cooling issues for the X3D CPU's are simply overblown. The V-Cache layer acts as a bit of a thermal break, so they do appear to run warm for those with outrageous cooling solutions since they are comparing the X3D with an unstacked chip. The V-Cache limits heat transfer NOT the cooler, once you hit quality air cooler or 240mm AIO territory the law of diminishing returns kicks in. So if you have one of either, just run with it. I'm using an 8 or so year old Hyper 212 Evo with no issues, max temp I ever saw was 85°C in Cinebench R23 multicore, 20°C ambient. Gaming loads it hovers between 45°C and 60°C. A tad warmer than my 5600X ran.