Should I upgrade or save for a new build?

Jul 2, 2018
Recently I feel like my PC has been falling behind the times, not performing as well as it used it I want some unbiased advice and want to know where I can make it better.

Right now my build is
Intel Core i7 3770K
32GB RAM (I forgot the actual model but its 4x 8GB corsair sticks.)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
ASUSTeK P8Z77-V DELUXE motherboard
Corsair AX850 PSU
Admittedly my my HDD set up is kind of messed up, I started with a Samsung 840 250 GB SSD but then migrated to a 2TB seagate HDD

My main issue is when playing certain games like the crew I feel like it struggles at 1080p and that its days might be numbered because I feel like I have enough power there to run it at 60 fps

My gut is telling me my CPU is holding me back but maybe I should get my hard drive situation is order and migrate back to a SSD.

I just want a second opinion and some advice on how i should proceed.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Solution
Yes, but even if it doesnt work, you can use the better cooler in your next build. So, its not a wastage.
You should OC the processor and get on a SSD before you move on to further investigation.
Jul 2, 2018

Maybe you're right but at the same time I wonder if if it really that unrealistic to expect 1080p @ 60 on this machine, I guess that's why I'm asking, is it unrealistic?

Anyway my benchmark is the crew only because its when I started to realize its a problem, it dips below 30 fps quite frequently even though my GPU is hardly hitting 40% but I did notice my CPU would sit around 70% and would hit 90% when hitting high speeds in new york. HDD access was low too outside of loading.

Dont get me wrong I know I could tune it down to get better frame rates but this is more of a question if my parts are falling behind and if there's room for improvement.

1080p/60fps is something that build should achieve easily. If its not, doesnt mean it is not capable. It is just not performing due to some shortcoming. So rather than scraping the build, you should first try to locate the shortcoming and see whether it is addressable.

Jul 2, 2018

What would the first logical step be? Right now I'm working on getting my hard drives back on track but I feel like the CPU is holding me back, unfortunately when I built this I opted for the stock cooler and I'm not sure how far I should push this 3770k with it.

Should the first step be get an aftermarket cooler then push it? I'm kind of worried that's just a placebo if Ive got a bigger issue at hand.

Anyone would/should be *very* hard pressed to find a game that rig could not easily maintain 60 fps on.....especially if overclocked to 4.2 GHz or above...

I'd wait for the new 9700-9900K, etc., to see what they have to offer...; no need to rush, IMO. If playing at 1440P or above, your CPU matters even less.