Should I upgrade platform or graphics card?

Jul 17, 2018
So I've been saving for a new PC for a couple of months now, but due to family issues I have to move to Europe. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but PC parts can be almost double the price. I have a budget of 400$ and was thinking what should I spend it on.

I currently have a AMD Phenom II procesor, 4 gigs of RAM, and a 550ti. I can reuse the HDD, case, and PSU, as they are all fairly new.

So my question is this, should I upgrade the platform first to am4, or should I get a new card like a 1060?

Solution
Yeah this is almost a Catch-22 situation. If you spend $300+ on a new chipset (CPU, motherboard, memory) you won't have enough to replace that very outdated GTX 550 Ti. Then if you spend $280+ on a GTX 1060 6GB, not only would it be severely bottlenecked by the CPU, you won't have enough to spend on a new chipset replacing your outdated Phenom II based chipset.

You don't say what games you play or if you plan on playing newer games like Far Cry 5 so that can make a difference too. But yes, before you move, you definitely need to buy all hardware where you are (I assume US/Canada) before moving to Europe. Import/VAT taxes are a killer there. Also, if it's not a sensitive situation with your family for whatever reason, I'd ask if I...

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Here not everything on ebay is a scam just take a look 1,529 processors sold and the guy has 15,000 positive feedback.
So after buying this you will have $210 should be enough for a graphics card.

Yeah this is almost a Catch-22 situation. If you spend $300+ on a new chipset (CPU, motherboard, memory) you won't have enough to replace that very outdated GTX 550 Ti. Then if you spend $280+ on a GTX 1060 6GB, not only would it be severely bottlenecked by the CPU, you won't have enough to spend on a new chipset replacing your outdated Phenom II based chipset.

You don't say what games you play or if you plan on playing newer games like Far Cry 5 so that can make a difference too. But yes, before you move, you definitely need to buy all hardware where you are (I assume US/Canada) before moving to Europe. Import/VAT taxes are a killer there. Also, if it's not a sensitive situation with your family for whatever reason, I'd ask if I could borrow some money to purchase all the main new components (CPU, motherboard, memory, video card) before moving over. I don't want to get too personal in what your situation is, so I'm just throwing that thought out there.

Solution