Should I upgrade to a GTX 1060 6GB?

Jan 22, 2019
I have a GTX 1050 2GB(junk),
i5 - 7400, 8GB RAM, 450W PSU.
I wanna run AAA games on about High preset, around 60 FPS, and I want it to last for about 2 years from now.
It's my best choice because of my current specifications, and I'm ok with compromising on the graphics a bit.
Should I upgrade?
Is it future proof?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks guys!

Solution

Well then, getting the 1060 is going to give you the biggest boost. Just keep in mind there are some games that will struggle a little, but you can dial back settings here and there and still get good results. Ram will impact as will CPU, but not in all games. Some will play superbly well, just not BF1/V and the like

You will need to look at an upgrade within a short space of time, as games become more demanding.

Good luck, and happy gaming :)
I would also upgrade the power supply also to be safe. As far as future proof, unfortunately no. The 1060 is coming to the end of it's run I think. The new 2060 should have been it's replacement but it's much higher priced, so I don't know if they will have an 1160 or a 2050, etc. But the 1060 is 2 years old already.

As far as is that rig future proof, no it unfortunately isn't. It might do ok a year or so, but quad core CPUs are starting to slowly go out as games become more multithreaded. So at some point you will want to look at an i7, or there newer ryzen CPUs, or a newer Intel platform like coffee lake for example. Also, you can still game on 8gb of ram, but I would recommend save up and upgrade to 16.

Future proof never really happens as you can see, there are always parts to upgrade. I just try to keep up with things as I can and update a bit at a time. You might see what you are able to find, sometimes the gtx 1070 is available for a little more now. The other day I bought an RX Vega 56, which is about the performance of a gtx 1070 to 1070ti for $340. I saw a new one a day or so later exactly like it on eBay new for 300. You would need a way better power supply, but there are deals out there.

Just be aware new cards are coming out this year so there are good deals on old cards, but you want the best you can get so that it will hold up a while.

ohious_grad made some good points.

THe 1060 is a big boost from what you have. You will see a huge jump in FPS, perhaps up to 60% game dependent. The 7400 is still a decent gamer, but has it's limitations with new AAA games.

Agree, also about the GPU upgrade. Getting a RTX2060 or GTX1660TI (when it comes out) would be better bets, and give you a bit more longevity.

My upgrade route with your system, would be GPU first, CPU second, ram third.

That is an option. And although I wouldn't necessarily suggest updating older systems, yours still has some legs in there.

If you popped in an I7 7700/k, along with another 8gbs of ram, alongside a GTX1060/1070, you will have a solid machine for another 2 years or so (specially with a GTX1070/RTX2060). If you can pick up a second hand 7700 that's still an awesome gamer.

Other wise a new build is not a bad idea. For about 600-800 dollars you can get a nice start. This is without a mid-high end GPU though.

You can upgrade the current system. The 1070ti is also a last generation part. Depending what your budget is, you could look on eBay for example, you can pick up used RX 480 and RX 580 cards for just over 100 dollars which would be about the same performance of the 1060. Just make sure you update the power supply also, and don't get one that was a mining card. An upgrade to one of those cards would be huge.

Then sell your 1050, and begin to save for another CPU like the i7 7700 or 7700k. When you install that, try to get another 8gb of ram for a total of 16. Those things should really give your system a boost in games. Then by that time you can probably start looking at a card in the range of an RTX 2060, 2070 or 2080 etc. Which would then about max out your system as you begin saving for another system for a year or 2 out from that time. Then you can carry over the graphics card and upgrade things as needed.

Well then, getting the 1060 is going to give you the biggest boost. Just keep in mind there are some games that will struggle a little, but you can dial back settings here and there and still get good results. Ram will impact as will CPU, but not in all games. Some will play superbly well, just not BF1/V and the like

You will need to look at an upgrade within a short space of time, as games become more demanding.

Good luck, and happy gaming :)

Solution
In that case I agree. Get the 1060 6gb now. Sell the 1050, then get another 8gb stick to give you 16gb total. Then at that time you can begin saving towards a newer cpu/ram/motherboard, or you can install an i7 7700 or 7700k for a nice performance boost. After that you'd have room to update the video card one more time on that system. So you have good options.

You might also look at the 8gb RX 570. It should not be much slower than a 1060, and should run circles around your 1050. But should cost less than the 1060.

Jan 22, 2019
Well, thanks everyone,
I'll think about an upgrade to GTX 1060, and I will be looking to upgrade my rig.
Although it seems to be lately that with all this mess and money, I'd be better to just play my xbox...
I have it a few years now and it runs everything(30 FPS, 900p - 1080p)
but it was only 299$...

PC gaming is more expensive to be sure. I will say as you get to where you get your system built up, it is very nice though. I got my system recently to where I'll be happy for a little while and got a 144 hz 27 inch monitor. Still 1080p, but it is very nice when you are playing a game and instead of being at 30-40 fps, you are playing at 100 or more fps without screen tearing. Everything is very smoothed out etc. Makes the games look so much better in my opinion.

Sorry, not my intention :)

Look, you have a decent enough, and still capable system. Some minor upgrades (and when i say minor - they may all cost about 400-600 ) you can have a competitive system for another year or two. With that said, that same 400-600 would get you a much better base system, but without a strong GPU. It's a real balancing act.

Given your on a budget, the best bang for buck for you is a GPU upgrade. If the cheapest one is available on Amazon, go for it. Providing it arrives in good condition and works, you will get a very nice boost in gaming FPS.

Just keep in mind, you will need a new system, or further upgrades to play AAA games with high settings because of the CPU/Ram. Down the line, in a few months, if you get a few more money to spend, then the other options can be looked at.

Good luck. Drop me a PM and let me know how good the 1060 is when you fire up some games :)

BTW i have a 1060, and I love it. Give me everything I want at the res i play at. 1080p 75hz.