Should I upgrade to AIO?

pharmit_singh

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017
I'm currently using the V8 GTS and it's just huge, heavy and noisy on load. Should I upgrade to the H115i? My case is a CM Storm Trooper.

PC SPECS:
CPU: i7 4790K 4.0GHz
COOLER: Cooler Master V8 GTS
SSD: Intel SSD 730 Series
HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB & WD Green 1TB
MB : Asus Maximus Formula VII
GPU: ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti 3GD5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4X4 DDR3 1600MHz (16gb)
PSU: Corsair HX1000

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Switching to water from air cooler will reduce noise somewhat but might screw up efficiency when compared to such a wind monster, even more if you're overclocking. It very much relies on personal preference. For instance I turn all my chassy and cpu fans up to 100% for oc and noise doesn't bother me that much while someone else would be bothered by it.
Your best shot is to buy one and swap/try it out, look at some Nzxt coolers if you care for lighting effects or corsair /be quiet! if you prefer efficiency.
Or do as volkgren said, turn down the fans as much as you can while maintaining safe temperature.

Absolutly a AIO will help. I had the 4790K and ran the Corsair H110i and it was great at keeping my overclocked 4790K in check with good temps and the sound was absolutly not an issue...also it does tidy up the space around the CPU area and you dont have a huge chunk of metal generating its own gravity field dragging the CPU to the earths core!

Having just checked, you might have a problem with the H115i as it might be just a fraction to big...please double check as I have read: http://community.coolermaster.com/topic/17663-cm-storm-tooper-rev2-corsair-h115i/

A H110 will definatly fit as will any other 240mm AIO of which there is a fairly good choice and will probably cost a little less depending on which one you go for...even the Cooler Master 240 AIO's will do a fairly good job.

At equal noise levels, there is very little difference in cooling between your current cooler and any AIO cooler.

Noise comes from fans.

First, verify where your noise is coming from.
Roll up a paper tube, put it to your ear and locate the noise sources.

Next, any cooler needs a good airflow to do the job.
Do you have two 120mm front intake fans?
Are all of the rest either not installed or used as exhaust.
If you take the case covers off, does that help.

Do you have a very aggressive overclock? Do you really need it?

I might suggest the noctua NH-D15s as an outstanding cooler.
It comes with low noise adapters to reduce noise.

pharmit_singh

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

Is it better than the V8 GTS in terms of cooling perfomance?

pharmit_singh

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

What do you think of the Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8?

Essentially the same cooler as the V8

What are you trying to accomplish?
Do you have a problem that needs fixing?
Is noise your only issue.

pharmit_singh

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

There's no problem with my PC. I might get an NZXT H440 case and having that big air cooler might be a problem for airflow even tho it fits and I have a 780Ti Matrix Platinum which is a big card.

This is my PC Specs:
CPU: i7 4790K 4.0GHz
COOLER: Cooler Master V8 GTS
SSD: Intel SSD 730 Series
HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB & WD Green 1TB
MB : Asus Maximus Formula VII
GPU: ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti 3GD5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4X4 DDR3 1600MHz (16gb)
PSU: Corsair HX1000

If you have no fitment problem with your motherboard now, you will not have one with a new NZXT H440 case.
Nice case, BTW.
It comes with 3 front 120mm intake fans which is plenty.
Some air coolers are so wide that they will impact a graphics card with a backplate that is mounted in the first pcie x16 slot.
You obviously do not have this issue with your current setup.
If you think you might in the future, the new noctua s suffix variants like the NH-D15s are offset a bit to eliminate that problem.
They also clear tall ram heat spreaders.

Your cooler is 167mm tall, and the H440 can accommodate 180mm.
You will have an issue to solve with a liquid cooler.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"

pharmit_singh

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

But since the V8 GTS is huge and the H440 is a mid tower, will the airflow be good?
With the V8 GTS and the 780Ti Matrix Platinum together, will it fit in the case?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I second geo on this one, you should no fitting problems nor air circulation (as long as you mount the v8 facing right way ^^). I would not go as far as being paranoid about liquid cooler leakage though, I mean it can happen but chances are low like with your cpu blowing up during slight oc. You lost me on "downgrading" your chassy from full to mid tower though, I also use the trooper and I can see how it could use one more top and also side fan but NZXT H440 doesn't seem to offer more ... Unless you really wanna loli-up your pc which I'm not a fan, I like it large hehe but everyone has their fetishes I guess.

pharmit_singh

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

I've changed my mind from H440 and now to the Fractal Design Meshify C. I'll stick with the V8 GTS for now because I have another spare.