Should I use 3TB or 4TB hard drives for video editing?

RealitySpeaks

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I'm deciding on either getting x2 4TB Seagate Bare HDDs, or x2 3TB Seagates. The 3TBs run at 7200RPM while the 4TB runs at 5900RPM. Which would be better to suit my video editing needs?

HD1=Screen Recording from fraps and my game capture device

HD2=Rendering, Editing, and Misc. Storage.

Solution

I would get a 7200rpm for that capture hdd, otherwise you may see lag/fps drop...you could just get a 5400rpm for the straight-up storage drive.

RealitySpeaks

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Well i've been told that speed doesn't matter nearly as much as storage. Like whats the point of fast drives if they are all full.

ACTechy

Distinguished

are you doing screen recording onto them, or just storing? If it's only storage, then yeah low rpm is fine...

RealitySpeaks

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Yes, I'll be FRAPS-ing and using my Elgato Game Capture Software onto one of them.

ACTechy

Distinguished

I would get a 7200rpm for that capture hdd, otherwise you may see lag/fps drop...you could just get a 5400rpm for the straight-up storage drive.

Solution

RealitySpeaks

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

So how is this setup: 1 3TB 7200rpm for FRAPs and Elgato's game cap software, then 2 4TB drives. 1 for saved projects, rendering to that drive, and other projects in progress, then the last one for games and downloads, pictures and such.

ACTechy

Distinguished

That's a butt-ton of space, but the layout sounds like it would work just fine. If you have the ability, and want the security, you might set up a RAID 1 with the 2 4TB drives...just an option. You'll only get 4TB of space (which is a ton) but you'll have some security there.

You're thinking of RAID 0, which is striping. He has recommended RAID 1 which is Mirroring, much different in function and results!

Yogi