[SOLVED] Should I use Administrator account for everyday use?

Sep 18, 2019
Hello everybody,

I have couple of questions regarding accounts on Windows 10
-Can I use administrator account for everyday use like downloading games,burning,web surfing,playing...?
-When I made local account after fresh Windows installation,I couldn't install programs,but instead,they automatically installed on administrator's account.
-When I tried to login into local account same day,I couldn't because it wasn't on login list,so I could only login into admin.
-If I use Microsoft Account will it delete my local account,because like I said,local account I made wasn't on login list.

Thanks

Solution
You probably are signing in with your Microsoft Account (Office). You can switch between local login and logging on with Microsoft online password (connecting you to Word, Excel, etc) or instead you can set up a 4 digit pin.

I had this issue before. I believe it was Accounts->Login(or Password). I'm not in front of my computer or I'd check.

I use a non-admin account for everyday use after a friend told me his wife got a virus on her non-admin account and he just deleted her account and created a new one instead of having to reinstall Windows.

I use ProtonVPN, which can be installed on your router/wifi if it has OpenVPN so you are network protected, but I'm also careful about not clicking links, downloading unknown files/photos, and...
I always use admin for everyday use. This allows you more freedom. (to install programs etc....)

"-If I use Microsoft Account will it delete my local account,because like I said,local account I made wasn't on login list. "

I'm not sure about this. I just would use the admin account always.

Sep 18, 2019
I always use admin for everyday use. This allows you more freedom. (to install programs etc....)

"-If I use Microsoft Account will it delete my local account,because like I said,local account I made wasn't on login list. "

I'm not sure about this. I just would use the admin account always.

Is there any major downsides for using Admin?
I read that if I got malware it can take control on PC and files,and also I would need to reinstall whole Windows.
PS
Is there a chance for hacker to steal my Paypal account,because that's my biggest fear?

Is there any major downsides for using Admin?
I read that if I got malware it can take control on PC and files,and also I would need to reinstall whole Windows.
PS
Is there a chance for hacker to steal my Paypal account,because that's my biggest fear?
I'm really not sure.
I always use admin and have never had an issue.
...and I am doing this on three home PCs.
Although I do keep my Windows up to date as well as all of it's security features.

Sep 18, 2019
I'm really not sure.
I always use admin and have never had an issue.
...and I am doing this on three home PCs.
Although I do keep my Windows up to date as well as all of it's security features.

Yeah,that's kind of problem for me,because I download ''illegal'' stuff.And I always disable Windows Defender,but have Avast turned On,mostly.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have made it a habit for years to NOT use the admin account for everyday use. I create a non-admin account for regular use.

My (now ex) gf always bitched about it, and thought it was either a waste of time, or that I was hiding something from her :rolleyes:

She, on her computer, which was used both for entertainment and for work purposes, had a single admin account on her PC. She was also in the habit of pirating stuff (mostly video, not software).

I'll give you one guess as to whose computer needed to be wiped/reinstalled multiple times due to corruption, possible viruses, etc.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'll give you one guess as to whose computer needed to be wiped/reinstalled multiple times due to corruption, possible viruses, etc.
Kind of a meaningless comparison without controlling for your usage habits.

Here's the practical difference between running admin or not (assuming you have UAC on).

Admin: when you try to do something that requires elevated permissions, a pop-up asks you to click yes for confirmation
Non-admin: when you try to do something that requires elevated permissions, a pop-up asks you to enter the admin password for confirmation

If you want to protect yourself from other local users, then sure give them a non-admin account and don't tell them the admin password. But if you're operating in a non-admin account but you know the admin password then I fail to see how you're any safer. If you're trying to do something and it prompts you for the password you're just going to enter it, the same as you'd just click OK on the UAC prompt with an admin account. You just have to spend slightly more time, to enter the password.

Sep 18, 2019
Since it's my personal home computer,I don't need password for Admin because no one will use it instead of me.
I just need PC that has normal functions like installing programs,downloading pirated stuff,downloading non pirate stuff,shopping on eBay,playing etc.
But I also want it to be safe,because I have Paypal account which holds my financial info,and it's my most valued info on PC.
Also,I really wouldn't want to reinstall whole Windows if I get viruses,because I get them,sometimes a lot,but I always delete them.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Since it's my personal home computer,I don't need password for Admin because no one will use it instead of me.
I just need PC that has normal functions like installing programs,downloading pirated stuff,downloading non pirate stuff,shopping on eBay,playing etc.
But I also want it to be safe,because I have Paypal account which holds my financial info,and it's my most valued info on PC.
Also,I really wouldn't want to reinstall whole Windows if I get viruses,because I get them,sometimes a lot,but I always delete them.
FYI, piracy is against the rules of these forums so I wouldn't go around talking about how you pirate stuff.

Using a non-admin account in no way offers complete protection. It doesn't protect you from being phished and getting your paypal password stolen, it doesn't protect you from installing something that contains malware (assuming that you'd just enter the admin password if it asked you to anyway), etc.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Common sense for the most part. Bookmark the sites that are important to you and always use those bookmarks to go to those sites so you know you're going to the real one. If you get an email claiming to be from paypal (or whoever) double check the sender, and if it's telling you do something with your account then browse to the site on your own rather than clicking the link in the email. Don't download/install stuff from sketchy sites.

Can google "how to protect myself online" or similar, lots of guides and advice out there.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019
Hey guys,just one more question.
Whenever I turn on PC, I gotta login so I can get in computer.When I installed Windows,I linked my Microsoft account,and now every time I login I need to enter that password.I tried to remove it,but I need another password,which I don't want.If I make local user account,I won't have admin rights.

All in all,what I want is to:
-enter Windows without login password
-have full admin rights
-Have only one account (admin)
-have Microsoft account connected so I can use purchased apps and games on that account.

Thanks

Sep 18, 2019
I did that multiple times today,but all solutions I read haven't fix my problem.
On Microsoft's website says it's impossible to remove password at least if your not on local user's account.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
You probably are signing in with your Microsoft Account (Office). You can switch between local login and logging on with Microsoft online password (connecting you to Word, Excel, etc) or instead you can set up a 4 digit pin.

I had this issue before. I believe it was Accounts->Login(or Password). I'm not in front of my computer or I'd check.

I use a non-admin account for everyday use after a friend told me his wife got a virus on her non-admin account and he just deleted her account and created a new one instead of having to reinstall Windows.

I use ProtonVPN, which can be installed on your router/wifi if it has OpenVPN so you are network protected, but I'm also careful about not clicking links, downloading unknown files/photos, and like previously mentioned watching for phishing emails (if something looks fishy I hit 'reply' and check the email address).

Some long or weird email address from a site like PayPal, your bank, etc is usually a dead giveaway. PayPal won't email you asking for personal details. I've received a few PayPal phishing emails.

Solution