Should I use all four sticks or just two?

aphillips2016

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
OK so I ordered 2x4GB sticks of RAM for my computer build and they run at 18665 but I've recently got more RAM for free (an older computer) 2x2GB at 1333. Can I run all four of them at the same time? Will it lower all their speeds to 1333? If it does is it better to have 8GB total at 1866 or 12GB total at 1333? My motherboard is the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 in case that information is needed. Thanks a lot of any replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
each set should run at it's frequency. the 2x4 gb will run at it's speed and the 2x2gb will run at it's speed since they will each be on a separate dual channel.

i have an old system with 4 x 1 gb sticks and each set of 2 runs at different speeds. it is an older ddr2 system and i think it is like 400 and 533 speed. but each matched set of 2 runs at it's own speed.

just be sure each set is on the right pair of slots. normally they are colored to show which slots should be used together.

edit: i guess i should say that this is not supposed to happen. the lowest speed should be the default for all the sticks, but my pc keeps telling me it is operating at 2 different speeds. does not match what i think i know about how it goes but this is what i am seeing.

Barring any compatibility issues you can run all four at once. Yes, they will be configured to run at DDR3-1333 by default.

No they don't

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
do you need 12 gb of ram? 8gb is enough for the average user.

won't hurt to drop in all 4 and see what you think. nothing to configure, just drop em in and boot it up. it should recognize the new sticks. if you feel it is slower, then simply remove the extra 4 gb.

blurryy

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
8GB is plenty for a normal user, I'd only recommend 12GB+ if your running adobe products, or doing 3D processing. if your deciding a 8GB, than 2x4GB (Most standard) is the best for the outcome.