[SOLVED] should i use my gpu if only using 1 fan?

iqbawidianto

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
So i have 1060 with 2 fans, but 1 of the fans dead. so i intended to fix it but i just made it worse. Now my gpu only using 1 fan instead of 2, and is it okay if im using it for daily basis until i buy a new fan? is it fine if i play some games?
Ps: sorry for the bad english.

Solution
No, it's not ok. Each of those fans cools a different part of the graphics card. So while you might be fine thermally on your GPU, your memory or your graphics card's VRMs might not be getting properly cooled and you stand a chance of burning something up.

Now, you can monitor the various graphics card components using HWinfo to make sure each of them is staying within specs, but the best option would be to simply replace the cooler completely or at least the dead fan. You wouldn't keep driving your car (Or at least I HOPE you wouldn't) if it was only able to cool half the engine, so this should be no different.

Lutfij

Titan
If you ruined the fan in the process of fixing it, then I think you're going to ruin the GPU as well. Jokes aside, I think you should order in a replacement fan off of Aliexpress or Ebay and get the damaged fan back up and running. It's very easy to loose track of time and not notice that things inside a chassis is overheating unless a warning or noise goes off(last effort would be something burning).

I wouldn't tax the GPU with games or anything except for YT and browsing until the replacement fan comes in.

That's my opinion, the card is yours to do whatever you choose.

Reactions: iqbawidianto
No, it's not ok. Each of those fans cools a different part of the graphics card. So while you might be fine thermally on your GPU, your memory or your graphics card's VRMs might not be getting properly cooled and you stand a chance of burning something up.

Now, you can monitor the various graphics card components using HWinfo to make sure each of them is staying within specs, but the best option would be to simply replace the cooler completely or at least the dead fan. You wouldn't keep driving your car (Or at least I HOPE you wouldn't) if it was only able to cool half the engine, so this should be no different.

Reactions: iqbawidianto
Solution
I would have, but the problem is I've seen FAR too many people who WERE driving around with only three wheels intact, or barreling down the freeway at 80+ MPH with a temporary tire on the front. So, I have little faith that comparison would hold up with a lot of people these days. Unfortunately, people would probably keep driving their vehicle even if they knew it wasn't cooling half of the engine too, which is why I said HOPEFULLY, but in truth, I have little hope as a lot of people from recent generations are simply clueless or don't care.

Reactions: DRagor