[SOLVED] Should I use NVENC or x264 when streaming with my setup.

redsox233

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2015
I am just starting streaming and trying to get the best looking stream right now. Here is my GPU and CPU for my system.
GPU: GTX 1660ti
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

Thanks y'all!

Solution
You should always use the gpu period.
Unless you only going to stream one single game and can configure that one to stream well.
Different games will have different needs and using the CPU will work with some while it will not work at all with others, so using the CPU is a huge hassle because you will have to configure the streaming for each game.
Keep in mind that some services have a cap. For instance Twitch caps the bitrate to 6Mbps.

The choice of encoder usually comes down to if you want speed for less hiccups when streaming or quality for archiving. But at say 6Mbps, it probably doesn't really matter at 1080p.

You should always use the gpu period.
Unless you only going to stream one single game and can configure that one to stream well.
Different games will have different needs and using the CPU will work with some while it will not work at all with others, so using the CPU is a huge hassle because you will have to configure the streaming for each game.

Solution