Question Should I use old PSU in new build?

Aug 29, 2023
Hello guys, I'm doing a new computer build with the following components:

CPU: Intel core i7 13700k
CPU Cooler: Deepcool ak620
Motherboard: Asus Prime z790-p Wifi ddr5 atx
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16) ddr5-6000
Storage: 2xWestern Digital black 7200rpm
Storage: samsung 970 evo nvme
Video Card: Gigabyte windforce oc geforce gtx 1060 3gb (from old system)
Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow atx

I need help with the PSU. My current PSU is a Corsair AX860 from 2016, it has 7 years and its warranty just expired. I would want to use this PSU for my new build, but I'm afraid that when the PSU dies it will fry other components too. If I had to buy a new PSU, I would buy a Corsair HX1000i or a Corsair HX1200 or a Corsair RM1000x. I have 2 questions in this regard:
1. Is it safe to use my current PSU (Corsair AX860) with the new build? All I want is for it to not damage other components when it dies
2. If I had to buy a new PSU, would you suggest buying the HX1000i or the HX1200 Rm1000x? I'm buying a PSU that have so many watts because I'm trying to future proof, in the near future I might get a new graphics card (I don't know which one) but I would want my psu to be able to handle even power hungry ones.

Thanks to everyone who will take the time to answer

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Best practice would be to get a new power supply, particularly at that age.

Using your old graphics card is a plus, of sorts.

Use a couple of power supply calculators and see what they say about draw. Consider that if the draw is ~50% of the power supply output, you are probably going to be fine, short term. Using it is a gamble against your new (and old) components. I would not use it long, and I sure would not use it in consideration of a new graphics card or such power hungry hardware.

If it fails, it could well take equipment with it, thus is the danger doing said. Is that worth the cost of replacement to you?

The tendency on this site would be to tell you to replace a 7 year old power supply.

No one can tell you when the existing one will fail or what, if anything, else might suffer as a result.

"Safe" is always a relative term.

It's an ordinary balancing act between your budget and your anxiety level.

Haven't kept up lately, but I think the RM series are at the top of Corsair's line???? Not sure.

It is a high quality PSU that is unlikely to damage other components because it has all the built in protections required to do so. I personally would re use it since you are nowhere close (or have been) to overload it.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
I use the corsair hx1000w platinum rated ( its the older model now ) with my 7800x3d and red devil 7900xtx .. had it for about 2 to 3 years its been shoved in and out of different systems over the time never had a issue !!

Its a longer psu which can cause trouble sometimes in certain smaller cases ..

But i would say with your current PC specs even if you went a 4090 tomorrow the newer hx 1000i platinum rated would be more than enough !!