[SOLVED] Should I use pre-installed case fans for my first build?

Jan 18, 2022
Hi all,

Looking to build my first PC very soon and after (almost) deciding on a case am wondering about which fans I should get, if any.

Proposed build:
Case, option 1: MSI MPG Gungnir 110M https://uk.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-GUNGNIR-110M
Case, option 2: MSI MPG Velox 100P Airflow https://uk.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-VELOX-100P-AIRFLOW
CPU: i5-12600K
Cooler: Dark Rock 4 Pro
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master 3070Ti

The Gungnir case comes with 4 pre-installed fans, 3x 120mm ARGB in the front and 1x 120mm ARGB in the rear.
The Velox case comes with 4 pre-installed fans, 3x 120mm in the front and 1x 120mm ARGB in the rear.
- Will these be enough if I re-arrange them, 2 on the front & 2 on the rear/top?

I'm happy to ditch the pre-installed fans and purchase a complete new set if necessary and am not too bothered about RGB but may make a nice finishing touch.
  • I assume it's better to have all fans of a similar spec so that the intake and exhaust flows are equal?
  • If I need to buy additional fans would I need to upgrade them in size or quality?
  • PMW or not / controlling options? (I think the pre-installed fans are all 3 pin).
  • Recommendations on a good setup please.
Hope that all makes sense, please let me know if you want any further info. Although I've done some research this is an area which is giving me quite a dilemma so I'm sorry for all the questions.

All help appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply.

What I really need to know is if 4x 120mm fans will be enough to keep my PC at a reasonable temperature? Is this the standard setup for modern PC's? If not then I'll need to look towards my next set of questions regarding upgrading them / size / quality / PMW etc.

However, you said not to expect MSI fans to work with non MSI manufactured boards and I'm getting a Gigabyte board. Should I really be worried about that? If that's the case then I'd need to change them anyway.

Finally, can you explain what you mean by RGB is and will be a nightmare?

That depends a lot on the case design and your component selection. As long as you keep air moving through the case it should be plenty.

Yes, the software to...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Never seen an MSI case fan, so can't really speak to the quality. Free fans are free fans. As long as they can move the air, shouldn't be too much an issue.

PWM vs 3-pin fans isn't super important. Most motherboards come with 4-pin headers which are perfectly capable of running both types.

RGB is and will be a nightmare. There is no standard. MSI fans will be compatible with MSI boards I would imagine, don't expect those fans/controllers to work with other manufacturers.

Jan 18, 2022
Never seen an MSI case fan, so can't really speak to the quality. Free fans are free fans. As long as they can move the air, shouldn't be too much an issue.

PWM vs 3-pin fans isn't super important. Most motherboards come with 4-pin headers which are perfectly capable of running both types.

RGB is and will be a nightmare. There is no standard. MSI fans will be compatible with MSI boards I would imagine, don't expect those fans/controllers to work with other manufacturers.
Thanks for the reply.

What I really need to know is if 4x 120mm fans will be enough to keep my PC at a reasonable temperature? Is this the standard setup for modern PC's? If not then I'll need to look towards my next set of questions regarding upgrading them / size / quality / PMW etc.

However, you said not to expect MSI fans to work with non MSI manufactured boards and I'm getting a Gigabyte board. Should I really be worried about that? If that's the case then I'd need to change them anyway.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply.

That depends a lot on the case design and your component selection. As long as you keep air moving through the case it should be plenty.

Yes, the software to control the fans RGB may be limited to MSI motherboards. The case probably specifies what it is compatible with. Mystic Light is MSIs standard.

As I said there is no complete industry standard. You have 5V and 12V RGB systems. ARGB vs RGB (Addressable means individual LEDs can be controlled, like rainbow effects and such, RGB just means that all the LEDs will change to one color or colors. There are also standalone RGB controllers that connect via USB and are 100% software controlled, and completely independent RGB systems that are self contained hardware (they often come with a little wireless remote) Proprietary wiring and fan connectors are common with these. Meaning that the only fans that will work as replacements are the exact models.

At no point did they all sit down and say, this is how RGB is going to work let's all use the same thing. It is a way for them to get return sales. If I spend $100 on an ASUS Aura setup, I'm going to keep buying other ASUS products. I think my limit would is about two software to control RGB. Right now I have Logitech and Gigabyte. Don't really want to add anything else if I can help it.

Solution
Jan 18, 2022
That's why I listed the core components as well as the cases I am considering.

Yes, the software to control the fans RGB may be limited to MSI motherboards. The case probably specifies what it is compatible with. Mystic Light is MSIs standard.
So the fans should work regardless of board, just the RGB won't be compatible?

As I said there is no complete industry standard. You have 5V and 12V RGB systems. ARGB vs RGB (Addressable means individual LEDs can be controlled, like rainbow effects and such, RGB just means that all the LEDs will change to one color or colors. There are also standalone RGB controllers that connect via USB and are 100% software controlled, and completely independent RGB systems that are self contained hardware (they often come with a little wireless remote) Proprietary wiring and fan connectors are common with these. Meaning that the only fans that will work as replacements are the exact models.

At no point did they all sit down and say, this is how RGB is going to work let's all use the same thing. It is a way for them to get return sales. If I spend $100 on an ASUS Aura setup, I'm going to keep buying other ASUS products. I think my limit would is about two software to control RGB. Right now I have Logitech and Gigabyte. Don't really want to add anything else if I can help it.
When I mentioned controlling options, I meant the fans themselves, RGB is the least of my concerns. AFAIK PMW fans will control themselves based on the temperature while 3 pin have to be controlled via BIOS options. I was asking which is the better or most reliable or suitable method?

Sorry, but I know this is going to sound ungrateful, which is not the case but I'm a bit more confused now than I was prior to making this thread. I'm new to all this stuff and really need some guidance on what I should do, that's why I asked specific questions. I realise it may not be as clear cut as that but some pointers in that direction would be appreciated. I'm wary that I may buy a case with pre-installed fans then find out they're not suitable or compatibale for my proposed system after I've built it and that is the kind of situation I want to avoid. Also, if I do have to buy additional fans, I'd like to know which ones work well. With my inexperience I don't want to buy any that are overkill or not good enough.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That's why I listed the core components as well as the cases I am considering.

So the fans should work regardless of board, just the RGB won't be compatible? ---Yes

When I mentioned controlling options, I meant the fans themselves, RGB is the least of my concerns. AFAIK PMW fans will control themselves based on the temperature while 3 pin have to be controlled via BIOS options. I was asking which is the better or most reliable or suitable method?

Sorry, but I know this is going to sound ungrateful, which is not the case but I'm a bit more confused now than I was prior to making this thread. I'm new to all this stuff and really need some guidance on what I should do, that's why I asked specific questions. I realise it may not be as clear cut as that but some pointers in that direction would be appreciated. I'm wary that I may buy a case with pre-installed fans then find out they're not suitable or compatibale for my proposed system after I've built it and that is the kind of situation I want to avoid. Also, if I do have to buy additional fans, I'd like to know which ones work well. With my inexperience I don't want to buy any that are overkill or not good enough.

Motherboards can control both PWM and direct voltage control fans. One is sending in 12V in short pulses, the other is sending ramping the voltage up and down (which can be accomplished effectively with PWM control)

The fans and fan controllers don't control the speed based on the temperature, the motherboard does. So it has temperature sensors on several devices, and devices you plug in have sensors.

It is confusing. This is what I am telling you. If you are going with MSI for fans, I suggest getting an MSI board. If you want a Gigabyte board, I suggest getting some Aura Sync compatible fans.

It is not to say that you can't get other RGB standards working, just that you will have to install multiple applications or control them through other means. Many motherboards support both RGB standards, but not always. Plugging a 5V RGB strip or fan into a 12V RGB header system will break it.

Reliability and suitability aren't really a thing. PWM isn't any more reliable than 3-pin fans, that depends on the fan. You can certainly buy fans with a higher rated operating hours (Mean Time Between Failures) Magnetic Levitation fans are generally considered very durable. Ball bearing fans are second, followed by your hydrodynamic and other fancy sleeve bearings (usually just grooves in the rotor to help pump the fluid around to keep up pressure, keeps it from hitting the sides) And then your basic sleeve bearing fans which is just two machined surfaces and a little oil.