Should I wait and upgrade to the 490(x) in the summer, or should I go for a 290 crossfire?

thepinkanator95

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Last time I did research on the subject crossfire caused a lot of problems and not many games supported it (same with SLI). Frame-stuttering and screen tearing were the big problems then.

I didn't know if possibly there have been advancements in the technology or maybe much wider support in games. The 290s are a lot cheaper now so I could buy an extra card now, but if I wait until the 490s are released I'll be able to afford one of those. Should I wait or will the crossfired 290s be more powerful and useful?

Solution
I've never been a fan of picking a the second card so long after the first. Additionally, I generally wait at least three generations of graphic cards before I even consider an upgrade.

Personally, I'd stay with what you have until you can afford the R9-590 Crossfire setup. If it doesn't look like you can afford the 590 Crossfire set up within a year of when they come out, then just stick with a single card solution.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've never been a fan of picking a the second card so long after the first. Additionally, I generally wait at least three generations of graphic cards before I even consider an upgrade.

Personally, I'd stay with what you have until you can afford the R9-590 Crossfire setup. If it doesn't look like you can afford the 590 Crossfire set up within a year of when they come out, then just stick with a single card solution.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Mickxal

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Never go crossfire. I did that mistake. Software is always fishy. Especially in the 200 series. Wait for pascal cpus to come. I like AMD and all but I'm changing from an all AMD setup to intel and nvidia. It's a question of superior performance and compatibility. You could stay with a 290x for now and wait for Zen and upcoming generations. Or you could wait for pascal and polaris.