Should I wait for DDR4?

Jeremy Sims

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
So basically my old AMD rig just doesn't cut it anymore and I have decided its time for a full re-haul. So the question is should I wait for DDR4? I have looked into it (google) and I finding articles about it saying crucial still plans to release DDR4 in December. Now I'm no where near a computer whiz or up to date on how things release so my true question is: 1. will desktop mobo's be released before the end of the year for me to build a nice gaming rig? and 2. I'm trying to stay around $1000 dollar budget with an intel build (I already have a HDD [although I may upgrade], and a thermaltake v9 case i could reuse [however I would like to switch to a smaller mini itx for space, however its no big deal as i could get more power out of a normal atx board.]). 3. And most importantly is the performance even worth the wait as I could simply purchase parts today if I wanted?

1. Not with DDR4. Not even next year, really.
2. What was the question?
3. No. DDR4 is not going to revolutionize performance. We're at a point where DDR3 can be nearly twice as fast as what the current CPUs can really take advantage of.

DDR4 is not close for the desktop. The memory chips themselves are getting close but the platforms/chipsets to support DDR4 are over a year away still. Take a look at this article from Toms:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Skylake-Intel-DDR4-PCIe-SATAe,23349.html

Haswell-E in mid to late 2014 may support DDR4 but following the past few years platforms which have cut a lot of features to make release dates, it probably won't.

The performance increases moving from say a 2133mhz or 2400mhz DDR3 kit to a DDR4 kit will not incredibly affect gaming performance. DDR4 will be making a larger impact on data intensive applications like server workloads, photo/video editing and similar.

You'd have to include the price premium of a new technology too. DDR3 when it released was substantially more expensive than DDR2, and at the time a 1333 kit wasn't much faster if any than what was available for DDR2. DDR3 didn't really speed up and become affordable until the last couple years. DDR4 probably won't reach current DDR3 pricing until 2015 at the earliest. On a $1000 budget, a Haswell-E platform, whether or not it supports DDR4, the system would be pretty bare bones compared to the non-'extreme' level products.

Buy your parts today.