Should I wait for Ivy Bridge ?

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
ATM I have a Core 2 quad 6600q 2.4GHz with a 8800GTX and 2x 2G RAM.

So this week I wanted to buy a new mobo in order to buy upgrade later. But since I'm planing to build a 3000$ + gamer PC over the next year should I just wait for Ivy bridge ? or the i5-2500k will remain the top noch CPU for gamers anyway ?

dharmenparikh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Wait for Ivy bridge because its expected to be 20% faster...and the new chipsets on the motherboards will perform better. You will also get Gen 3 which will be useful for your high end system in that it can give you more bandwidth for PCie audio card and so forth when using more than 2 PCei slots.

Another thing that people don't realize is that with every new motherboard chispset the controllers for USB, SATA and other connectors are improved by the vendor..Asus is known to do this a lot..so that is helpful.

For a high end system like yours overclocking is a must too..and since this processor is 77w...overclocking will be better.

Ivy bridge is also supposed to have better intel quick sync than the current version.

Also when Ivy bridge comes out...Nvidia Kepler will be out too..and that will give you a clear choice between 7970 or GTX 680. I assume you will get 2 cards if you're spending $3k.

In short when you're spending $1500+ on a PC..its best to get the latest stuff so it lasts 2-3yrs.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

I even plan to get 3GPU someday. So far I'll probably get a Radeon 7970, then I'll buy others once I will need too.

But well now my computer is total crap so lets hope they will release it anytime soon.

I guess that I could check if my current mobo can use SSD and buy one as for now.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

I'm going for a 3 monitor eyefinity but you might be right and maybe should I go with 2x or 3x crossfire/sli of an older GPU. I still have to take a look about that.

Well the HD7970 should pull the screen @ 1080p in most games. 3 way GPUs scale horribly, so I would say ceiling at 2. The HD6950 is one of the most popular xfire setups and i am betting so will the HD7950 be.