Question Should I wait for RTX 4090 or buy a 4080 now?

Dec 5, 2023
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. I built a PC couple weeks ago. I am still using my old GPU, RTX 2070 on it. However I really want to change it with the new one. During the november, GPU prices went up crazily. It's impossible to find RTX 4090 under $2500 now. Even 4080s are going around $1500 now.

You can see my system below, and I am going to need your suggestions. Should I wait for a discount and restocking on 4090, or for 5080s, or should I get an RTX 4080 now? I am a gamer. I've been struggling with bad built PCs for years and I don't want to have issues no more with my new built. I just wanted to end it up this bad PC problems :) Now I have a beast and I want to use it with the best.

I got 1440p monitor so I'll be playing in 1440p.
My build:

Thank you

well, the best would be the 4090, no "compromises" with that

the 7900XTX or 4080 are comparable, a 5080 could be cheaper, but for now I don´t think that will be true

personally I would get a 4070, still a big boost in performance compared to your 2070

I’d take a look at the 7900xtx. A friend of mine went from an rtx 3090 to a 7900xtx and is pretty happy with it.

On a budget you might look at the rx 7800xt or even the older 6800xt. I just got a 6800xt on sale a few days ago for $439. According to benchmarks it’s basically neck and neck with the newer 7800xt. For 1440p those cards should be good.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
if you can find a new 6800xt and sit on it save your money and go a 5090 when they drop !!

I dont like supporting companies like Nvidia that spew out rubbish to the masses first then super seed said rubbish later on making it attractive for cashed up Nvidia idiots to spend more ..

4090 is the king no doubt and even me a AMD fanboy as such with my current 7900xtx ( and my other 3 AMD gpus 6900xt 6700xt and 6650 xt ) will look more closely at the 5090 next gen if AMD cant produce anything as high end !!

Depends how long you want to wait. There are rumors there is going to be a different 4090 that can be sold in china. It might only affect the ability to do AI stuff and not have as much effect on gamer usage....but this is all rumors.

There are also the nvidia "super" line of cards maybe in January. All depends on how much they try to rip off for them. Since the price of most the high end cards have been increasing they likely can get away with a little price gouging for the super line of cards on launch.

Depends how long you want to wait. There are rumors there is going to be a different 4090 that can be sold in china. It might only affect the ability to do AI stuff and not have as much effect on gamer usage....but this is all rumors.

There are also the nvidia "super" line of cards maybe in January. All depends on how much they try to rip off for them. Since the price of most the high end cards have been increasing they likely can get away with a little price gouging for the super line of cards on launch.

On the part about the cut down 4090, I saw that, but I also saw where regulators in the U.S. were essentially a bit upset with them and threatened to control them more.

Nvidia is a terrible choice for 1440p gaming right now. They simply do not have a decent offering considering 12GB is on the verge of being insufficient and $1200 is simply too much for a decent GPU that isn't a flagship and $2000 is just absurd. That's why I'm currently using an RX 6950 XT with a 1440p G-Sync monitor. Nvidia burned me with their ridiculous vram limitations and ludicrous prices.

All that said, I still want a decent GPU from Nvidia for 1440p gaming at a reasonable price.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. I built a PC couple weeks ago. I am still using my old GPU, RTX 2070 on it. However I really want to change it with the new one. During the november, GPU prices went up crazily. It's impossible to find RTX 4090 under $2500 now. Even 4080s are going around $1500 now.

You can see my system below, and I am going to need your suggestions. Should I wait for a discount and restocking on 4090, or for 5080s, or should I get an RTX 4080 now? I am a gamer. I've been struggling with bad built PCs for years and I don't want to have issues no more with my new built. I just wanted to end it up this bad PC problems :) Now I have a beast and I want to use it with the best.

I got 1440p monitor so I'll be playing in 1440p.
My build:

Thank you
I would wait a bit and see what the price to performance of the 4070ti Super is. As of now all the 4XXX cards are not a very good buy, I would look at AMD if buying right now.

The 4090 is the top dog right now but the massive price is not really worth it, I would say way overpriced should be like a 1400 buck card. (USD)

EDIT the 7900xtx is around 1K and matches the performance of the 4080 depending on the game as to the better card.

If your using a 4K monitor and just have the money to burn the get the 4090 (ouch on the price) but is the best performance. For 1440p resolution then the 7970xtx or 4080 is fine.

Even the 4080/4070ti or 7800XT is fine I would never chase Ultra settings just for 1 or 2 games.

Most people can't tell the difference in Ultra and High settings or even a combination of high and mid.

1440p then the 7800xt or 4070ti is fine for most people unless you chasing the Ultra settings.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS