[SOLVED] Should I wait until DDR5 is released?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
The specs for my current system isn't the worst, but should I wait until DDR5 is released? Considering it will only be released around 2024

My current home built rig is
CPU: i7-7700K
Mobo: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz (I do a lot of editing hence the high amount of RAM)
Storage, well I don't think this really matters

Solution
The specs for my current system isn't the worst, but should I wait until DDR5 is released? Considering it will only be released around 2024

RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz (I do a lot of editing hence the high amount of RAM)

DDR5 is already commercially available, should be on store shelves before the year is out...Newegg already has listings that go live on Nov 4th.

I recently replaced my 7700k, but mostly out of boredom, and I am giving it to my nephew, so it isn't going to waste.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm still running my gaming PC on a Haswell era i5... though I am not doing a whole lot of gaming these days, and am not playing the latest and greatest. I plan to wait for the Ryzen 6000 series on the AM5 (or whatever they're going to call it) platform, and thus go with DDR5.

That said, an i7, being 4c/8t, is still pretty good. I don't think there's any need to upgrade any time soon.

Also, I thought DDR5 was going to be in the 2022 timeframe?

It is looking like Alder lake will be a winner.
I think the I5-12600K will be the chip to buy.
There will be motherboards that support your DDR4 ram.
It would be prudent to keep monitoring the launch and to see how much value will come with DDR5 vs. DDR4.
I expect initial shortages and scalping.

DSzymborski

Titan

Probably the best way to answer your question is to ask you a question.

What do you wish to do after an upgrade that you are not able to do as effectively, or at all, in your current PC?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

DDR5 is already commercially available, should be on store shelves before the year is out...Newegg already has listings that go live on Nov 4th.

I recently replaced my 7700k, but mostly out of boredom, and I am giving it to my nephew, so it isn't going to waste.

Solution

jsh169

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
DDR5 likely won't be a big upgrade for a year or 2 and honestly how big who knows, the biggest thing will be the amount of space it can hold. Obviously if money is no object go for it, sounds like Alder Lake is going to be a beast, more so than DDR5.

DSzymborski

Titan
DDR5 likely won't be a big upgrade for a year or 2 and honestly how big who knows, the biggest thing will be the amount of space it can hold. Obviously if money is no object go for it, sounds like Alder Lake is going to be a beast, more so than DDR5.

Yeah, by the time DDR5 is worth the price, people will be choosing it anyway because by that point, new CPUs will be using DDR5 exclusively, in all likelihood.