should i wait?

megaballzdeep

Honorable
May 21, 2013
so been waiting a few weeks for black friday and cyber monday to get a new video card and ive noticed the sales are pretty lame lol. i wanted a R9 290 but not sure how long till good coolers so should i get a 770 or 780? and will it still be good for 2 years or so

Solution
The AMD 290 will work just fine with your system:)
I would get that but it's your decision. What games do you play? If you want Physx support the Nvidia card would be the obvious choice. On the other hand if you play Battlefield 4(and the other upcoming games on the same engine) and want Mantle support then the AMD 290 wopuld be the right choice

jay2577

Honorable
The AMD R9 series like the 290 aren't really budget GPU's.
What's the rest of your system specifications? CPU,Motherboard,Ram and Power supply
Before you buy a card it would be handy to know if you will be able to power it or not:)

jay2577

Honorable
The AMD 290 will work just fine with your system:)
I would get that but it's your decision. What games do you play? If you want Physx support the Nvidia card would be the obvious choice. On the other hand if you play Battlefield 4(and the other upcoming games on the same engine) and want Mantle support then the AMD 290 wopuld be the right choice

Solution

megaballzdeep

Honorable
May 21, 2013

not sure if you know or not but will it be ok with the cooler it has? people have been complaining but i dont know if its because it sucks or if its just loud. if its just noise then i dont care as long as it stays cool

megaballzdeep

Honorable
May 21, 2013
would the 780 be a good deal as well? its 100 more but i dont want anything to run hot at all times and just want a reliable card for next 2 years or so haha. im using my case from my last build but it still holds up pretty good. it has 2 120 fans in front a 200 on the top and 2 120s on the side right next to gpu.

jay2577

Honorable
Your case cooling is fine. The 290 will be good in your case. This is your decision though. The AMD 290 range are fine running hotter than CPU's if that's what worries you. They are designed with that in mind. The Nvidia 780 is also a good card but £100 more expensive here in the UK.
I don't know where your from or what the price difference is. The other option is fitting an aftermarket cooler to the AMD290 if you want the card but are worried about heat. That would probably take you up to the price of a Nvidia 780 though.
It's a difficult decision I know to choose a graphics card. I'm going with the AMD 280x very soon myself and put a lot of research into it.

megaballzdeep

Honorable
May 21, 2013
i was thinking of the 280x as well but they were selling out tons so been looking for other options :p. i might actually go with that still if i can find the one i want because im really interested in mantle and how much it would boost it

jay2577

Honorable
What country are you in? I helped someone earlier who was looking for a msi 280x in the UK and couldn't find one.He said it was sold out everywhere. I found the model he wanted in stock in 1 minute:D

I'm looking forward to Mantle too and it's why I chose the 280x. I found it to be the best price/performance for me too.
I might be slightly biased against Nvidia though as I had a Nvidia 8800gt when Windows Vista was released and had so many crashes because of their drivers that I haven't had an Nvidia card since.

megaballzdeep

Honorable
May 21, 2013
i havnt use an nvidia card in a long time maybe like 8 years haha for some reason amd always has the right price performance for me.im in the US the only place ive found that have them is ncix but the canada site only :p all thats left are the xfx versions which ive never had a problem with since im using a xfx card now but was really hoping for a asus or msi one since in some review people were saying the xfx didnt cool that great. also amazon has some but for some reason they are all 50-100 more so thats lame.