[SOLVED] Should I worry about RTX 2080Ti reaching 84C?

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
I got a Ryzen 7 2700 with a Asus TUF B450-Plus, no OC being done except the automatic one where the CPU is running 200Mhz above factory defaults.

But I see the RTX 2080 Ti Dual Black 11GB not being used 100% (running at 1080p/144hz) but reaching sometimes 84C.

Should I consider some sort of extra cooling? I already have all possible fans installed in the NZXT PC case.

Should I improve case's air cooling, install a water cooler for the GPU or it is "okay"?

Solution
Your front fans are capable of up to 2000 rpm.
Certainly 56c. for the cpu says they are doing the job.
Are they running at that speed?
Id so, that is as good as you can do getting air into the case.
If the noise is not a bother, you can manually set them at that speed.
I find a constant fan drone to be less annoying than a constant fluctuation.

84c. for a gpu under load is not bad.
You might be able to set the gpu fan profile to run faster if you want lower gpu temperatures.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like you need to determine if you have good case airflow.

Remove the side panel.
Set a desk or house fan in front of the case set to highest setting.
Run tests again.
If temps remain the same, you should consider re-seating the cooler with new thermal paste or alternative cooling.
If temps go down by significant amount, you need to consider case airflow or new chassis.

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
Sounds like you need to determine if you have good case airflow.

Remove the side panel.
Set a desk or house fan in front of the case set to highest setting.
Run tests again.
If temps remain the same, you should consider re-seating the cooler with new thermal paste or alternative cooling.
If temps go down by significant amount, you need to consider case airflow or new chassis.
I was thinking about using the settings on Riva tuner to manually adjust the GPU fans to speed up earlier

I was checking this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a12aDCxrcts
, I'll try those tips later as well

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The smoke flow will show your airflow, but not necessarily the overall volume or rate of flow. In short, if there is a slight pressure change, you would see it pull into the case, but it takes very, very little pressure difference to do that so it isn't going to tell you any more than 'it moves air'.

What is your cpu temperature at idle, and under load?
I expect around 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

84c, might be a bit hot for a graphics card.
What is the make/model of your NZXT case?
What is the case fan setup?
Possibly you can do better in that department.

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
The smoke flow will show your airflow, but not necessarily the overall volume or rate of flow. In short, if there is a slight pressure change, you would see it pull into the case, but it takes very, very little pressure difference to do that so it isn't going to tell you any more than 'it moves air'.

Hmmm ok, but that would help me double check if everything is ok or at least as it should be, maybe I did something wrong, because I had no issues in the past when I was using an i7 4790 with GTX 1070 with the same case, which does not seem to get too hot to become a problem

What is your cpu temperature at idle, and under load?
I expect around 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

84c, might be a bit hot for a graphics card.
What is the make/model of your NZXT case?
What is the case fan setup?
Possibly you can do better in that department.

This is the case I'm using but black https://www.nzxt.com/products/s340-white

I'm using 2 140mm at the front panel, 1 above and just the factory one in the back, I don't remember their RPM, looking for it, but would fans' RPM have a recommended range to look for?

CPU temperature seems to be fine since it did not caught my attention before, but I'll check it once I get back home, teamviewer is not connecting right now for some reason, but I don't think it was that low as 15C

Yes 84C is perfectly fine. 84C will NOT damage your card in anyway.

84C is the max safe limit for Turing set by Nvidia. If 84C was detrimental to the card, you would never see 84C. The temp limit would be far lower.

Of course, 84C isn't ideal, it would be nice to have lower temps so your core clock would boost higher. But 84C is still within Nvidia's Specifications.

However, if you notice other people with Duals having way lower temps in similar cases, then you might have a card with either a defective cooler or perhaps needs new thermal paste.

Reactions: mammoth noel

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Hmmm ok, but that would help me double check if everything is ok or at least as it should be, maybe I did something wrong, because I had no issues in the past when I was using an i7 4790 with GTX 1070 with the same case, which does not seem to get too hot to become a problem

Not sure what it is helping double check, but OK.

I noticed my 2080 throttled at 80C which indicated a bad seat of my waterblock. My performance nearly doubled when I got that back down to 40-45C at load. So, something was happening right at the magical 80C mark- I never went over 80C - magically hit that wall and never exceeded it, but my performance was less than impressive until I fixed this.

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
Not sure what it is helping double check, but OK.

I noticed my 2080 throttled at 80C which indicated a bad seat of my waterblock. My performance nearly doubled when I got that back down to 40-45C at load. So, something was happening right at the magical 80C mark- I never went over 80C - magically hit that wall and never exceeded it, but my performance was less than impressive until I fixed this.
what I mean by doublecheck is: maybe I placed the fans in the wrong position so the air flow could be not working as intended

I'll try to use MSI Afterburner manual fan control to speed up the fans at lower temperatures, avoiding the temperature to scale up too fast

Also, I removed the front panel from the case to see it how it goes

Yes 84C is perfectly fine. 84C will NOT damage your card in anyway.

84C is the max safe limit for Turing set by Nvidia. If 84C was detrimental to the card, you would never see 84C. The temp limit would be far lower.

Of course, 84C isn't ideal, it would be nice to have lower temps so your core clock would boost higher. But 84C is still within Nvidia's Specifications.

However, if you notice other people with Duals having way lower temps in similar cases, then you might have a card with either a defective cooler or perhaps needs new thermal paste.

Understood :) but worries if it works on the temp limit all the time

while idle, it remains at 36C, not sure if that is a good or bad sign

A limiter is just that, a limiter. It's only job in life is to tell the GPU Boost algorithm if the GPU is hitting a specific temperature it shouldn't. If it couldn't do that for the lifespan of the card, that'd be pretty bad.

Why is it too that basically every single flagship Nvidia Founders Edition card always hits temp limit?

Problem is that we only see limiters in a bad way, because in the past, hitting temp limit on say your CPU was always a bad thing.

But with Nvidia's implementation, the card is designed to hit all it's limiters.

Reactions: gusnd
If you dangle a tissue in front of a running fan, you will see the airflow direction.

You have a very nice case with the potential for great cooling.If you want better cooling, get more fresh air into the case.
What comes in will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
Your case allows two 140mm front intakes.
I do not know what you have installed.
But Noctua makes some very good high rpm fans, ranging up to 3000rpm.
You could try a couple of those.
You can slow down a fan but not speed it up so get a bit more than you think you need and slow them down if need be.

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
HI, got back after few tests.

I removed the front lid from the case, it automatically reduced the GPU's temperature 2C~3C, seems like I'll have to keep it that way. The CPU's temperature was sort of stable at 56C

Also, I added 3 of these https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-pro-led-config/p/CO-9050048-WW, without the lid I got 1C less than before within the GPU.

I used the Q-Fan calibration tool available in the BIOS, is it reliable? Or should I set the fan speed values manually?

The air flow seems really good, 2x140mm at front sucking the cold air in, 1x140mm at the top sucking the hot air out and 1x120mm at the back sucking hot air out. The one at back seems to be losing the job to the one at the top, which seems to be really sucking the hot air from the CPU.

Any suggestions for improvements? or is it the best I can get with what I have?

You might be able to set the gpu fan profile to run faster if you want lower gpu temperatures.

Reactions: gusnd
Solution

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013

I did a test running Cinebench 20, the max numbers were the ones I got while running it.

Not sure why HWMonitor does not get any readings for the PWM (which were manually set in the BIOS for each of the fans), and they have 4 pins.

K8iv36u.png

I'll set them to 2000 rpm and see what I get then, hope to not start a cyclone in my office