[SOLVED] Should i7 8700K run cooler?

messmedia

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Hello!
I've build a PC with intention to expand - move my work from Photoshop, Lightroom and Illustrator - towards moving images, video and animation.
Haven't started learning or doing anything in "moving images" department, however, I noticed that, during my Lightroom work, CPU temp is peaking high (87 dgrs Celsius).

Lightroom is demanding on CPU, in my former build I had to upgrade the cooler so I don't get 90 degrees while exporting ... On that i7-3770, Coolermaster Hyper tx3i did the trick and kept it under 70 degrees all the time.

I got Scyte Mugen 5 PCGH edition cooler on this build (2 fans).
Other specs:
MSI m5 z370 motherboard | 32Gb G-Skill 3000 c14 RAM | Fractal Design R6 case (no-transparent-side panel) | Seasonic Focus Plus 850w 80+ platinum Power Supply
I am in a small room, 25-28 degrees room temperature. It ventilates when I realize I can cut cigarette smoke with a knife :ouch:

So, stressed chicken s**t that I am, I started benchmarking my PC :D (instead of working of course)
Intel XTU benchmark noted 88 degrees Celsius as Maximum temp. No throttling ...
Aida64 got 94 degrees, on 5 minutes stress test WITH FPU. Without FPU, it is around 75-78.

I also noticed that voltage on CPU cores goes as high as 1.48 on some cores, around 1.4 while cores are stressed.

I know this is within normal, but, I do have large case, very well reviewed cooler (so probably good), and I thought results should be better. (my load results are much worse then on reviews, but, i couldnt find a review with this combination of cooler/cpu)

I tried turning off MCE (I think in MSI bios it is called extreme turbo?? edit:Enhanced Turbo is actual name), no significant change.
Setting manually cpu core voltage to 1.2, without MCE, and leaving all the rest on auto (so, adaptive voltage is on then, i assume) - actually is good.
On AIDA, temps stayed much under 70 degrees (65-67)
Voltage went to 1.36 MAXIMUM.
Now, CPU maxes out at 4.56 Ghz, but most of the time is around 4.33 Ghz with this setup. It is little low, but I don't know is there much difference in work?
Also, manually setting voltage to 1.2 - how will that influence CPU lifespan?
How about setting target CPU frequency to 4.7, with this voltage, will that shorten life of CPU?

Please help, get my mind to ease :heink::ange::pt1cable:

Solution
No, the thing that worries me is that voltage should not auto get high like that, have you tried updating bios?
If i set on my asus mobo 1.1V it sticks to 1.1 with llc, do you have any software that controls like ai suite? Try removing that.

messmedia

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
I tried that, but already did try before to fixture voltages at 1.2, and it is better. Much better.

However, initially I thought, with STOCK settings, and large and good cooler, temps should be MUCH LESS (I am actually OK with stock turbo at 4.7 GHz, for my needs)

So, I've purchased a CoolerMaster paste (Pro, couldn't find Nano, or Arctic here - without waiting for few days)
So, I cleaned everything, and did installation of Cooler again (while doing it I saw all was OK with original Scythe paste first time)...
BUT!!! I did test fans, and it appears that exhaust fan was turned wrong way (it was pushing air back!).
Well, wrong way for it to work correctly, but, being EXACTLY the same as other one (intake) - I assumed Scythe company did think about air flow, and if there is anything to do about it, it would be in the instruction manual. It wasn't!

So, after turning fan the right way (which looks visually as wrongly mounted :) ), I got around 8-9 degrees of lower temps.

Now, it still is little high!
From 88-89 degrees, I got 79 on Intel XTU, after fixing the fan.
Aida without FPU was ok, with 62 degrees maximum.
Aida WITH FPU was pushing 96 degrees after 3-4 minutes!!

I know it is unrealistic scenario (FPU), but, if normal behavior of stock set - Intel 8700K with large, above average cooler is better then what I have, then - there must be another problem somewhere, right?
So, I am posting screens of tests and HWmonitor findings, if anyone can check if there is anything I can do??
But, it is imperative for me to have optimum performance without hurting my CPU life-span (in good shape)
Please, thoughts - anyone?
Also, it would be benefitial if someone can post Intel XTU benchmark with your 8700K - on stock settings - so we can compare?

THANK YOU all ...
Screens:
https://imgur.com/a/g1ufMAk

messmedia

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Hey! Voltage fluctuate just a little bit, if I don't fixture it in BIOS.
Also, it has spikes - over 1.4 (often 1.45) one time it hit 1.502!
I guess that is what makes CPU hot. I just can't imagine it being setup from MSI side. It REALLY doesn't look safe AT ALL. Even with all things checked, repaired cooler installation, with stock settings, on IntelBurn test cpu hits 95 degrees (didn't wanna finish the test as it was already too hot)

Also, what would happen if I didn't have bigger cooler? It looks as cpu would get throttled on ANY even slightly demanding task.

With fixed settings in bios, voltage fluctuate +-0.5 volts, more stable if I turn LLC mode 4 on.

So, best benchmark results I got with cpu manually clocked on 4.7, FIXED (saw on MSI video procedure where this seems to yield more stable results), VCore set to 1.25V, LLC mode 4 is on, and ..*other* 2 voltages :) - are also set to 1.2V (1.15 also is ok, but it seems I get little bit higher memory benchmark results with 1.2 settings)
Also, I disabled mode which allows CPU to go into power-save mode (c-something is the name :( )
Yeah, and -3 offset value for AVX.

So, Intel XTU - 2420 score, 74 max temp - temp was 88
Intel Burn test - 166.54 GFlops, 84 max temp - temp was 96
CPU-z bench - singlecore - 558, multicore - 4236, temp max - 66
Cinebench r15 - CPU - 1546, tempMAX 72, OpenGL - 180.7, tempMAX 50

Didn't do Aida (it was very late :( )

Is this still on the Higher side, with Scyte Mugen 5 PCGH (which should be close to noctua 15)?? Ore these temp results are to be expected?