Question Should my brand new psu be making a buzzing noise?

jimbov2100

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2014
Hi,

I have a

psu - Toughpower GF1, Full Modular, 80PLUS Gold, SLI/CrossFire, Single Rail, 83.3A, 140mm Fan, ATX, PSU 7FT09

That's making a high pitch buzzing sound. It's a brand new build.

What could be the cause of this?

I have linked a video of the sound. I noticed it get louder when turned on. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey there,

Sounds like coil whine, which happens on PSU/Mobo/GPU's. Typically, it doesn't affect performance. But can be very annoying.

It happens when the VRMs resonate at high frequencies and makes this noise. This is normally due to the current passing through the VRMs.

Try pinpoint the noise. Are you sure it's the PSU? It could be the GPU and also the VRMs on the mobo. Locating it, will be helpful.

In the meantime, if you cap the frame rates in games, does that affect it? It's sometimes happening when the GPU is pumping out series FPS in a game menu, as an example.

Please list the rest of your system specs.

jimbov2100

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2014
Hey there,

Sounds like coil whine, which happens on PSU/Mobo/GPU's. Typically, it doesn't affect performance. But can be very annoying.

It happens when the VRMs resonate at high frequencies and makes this noise. This is normally due to the current passing through the VRMs.

Try pinpoint the noise. Are you sure it's the PSU? It could be the GPU and also the VRMs on the mobo. Locating it, will be helpful.

In the meantime, if you cap the frame rates in games, does that affect it? It's sometimes happening when the GPU is pumping out series FPS in a game menu, as an example.

Please list the rest of your system specs.

Hi Roland,

I have updated my original post with a imgur video with sound. It's making the noise even with the pc off.

Specs:
Motherboard - MSI MAG B650
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700k
GPU: my old smsi aero GTX 1080
RAM: 2X16GB DDR5 Corsair vengance
psu: 1000w Thermaltake Toughpower GF1
Running latest update on windows 11

Thanks,

Yeah, that's kinda it alright. It's so annoying. I've only ever had it happen once, a few years back with a GTX1060 and a Corsair CX PSU. I was going to change the PSU anyway, and once I did the sounds was non existing. I changed to a EVGA GQ.

I'm not saying that's the solution, but I guess it's really down to you. If you are pretty sure it's the PSU, then RMA is. The only real course of action for now.

Does the system function without whine with the old PSU?

jimbov2100

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2014
Yeah, that's kinda it alright. It's so annoying. I've only ever had it happen once, a few years back with a GTX1060 and a Corsair CX PSU. I was going to change the PSU anyway, and once I did the sounds was non existing. I changed to a EVGA GQ.

I'm not saying that's the solution, but I guess it's really down to you. If you are pretty sure it's the PSU, then RMA is. The only real course of action for now.

Does the system function without whine with the old PSU?

Hi Roland,

Just as I was reading your reply the buzzing has now stopped completely. As it's brand new in all new components what would your recommended course of action be as this is my first build and would really need some advise.

Could this cause future issues?

Thanks so much for the speedy response. Gotta love this forum.

Hi Roland,

Just as I was reading your reply the buzzing has now stopped completely. As it's brand new in all new components what would your recommended course of action be as this is my first build and would really need some advise.

Could this cause future issues?

Thanks so much for the speedy response. Gotta love this forum.

Ah, I'm glad you're enjoying the community here. It's top notch :)

So, there is no drop on performance most of the time with coil whine. It's really just the sound/noise it generates. It can be very annoying. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it presents itself again, and given you have just purchased the PSU, I'd go right ahead and RMA it. Just be sure. It could just be 'that' particular unit out of a whole batch that's doing it.

Coil whine will not take out any components or cause any damage to your system.

Reactions: Vic 40