[SOLVED] Should my CPU be overheating with old intel stock cooler?

Jun 7, 2022
I recently switched from an intel core i3 8100 to an intel core i5 11600k (while keeping the rest of the setup the same, except from one fan I couldn't plug bc I had less connectors in the new motherboard). Since really I can't afford a not trash CPU cooler right now, I decided to use the intel stock cooler that came with the i3. The thing is, even if my GPU runs at normal temperatures, my CPU is now reaching very high ones (83°C at lowest and 99°C at highest, not being overclocked) while playing mid end games.

So I was wondering if these temperatures are to be expected with this particular combination of CPU and cooler (I hadn't measured the temperatures with the i3, but the cooler was so much quieter and I don't think just one fan should be such of a difference) or if I had messed up something when installing them, just in case I should would worry about getting a new cooler ASAP or be a bit more chill and just reinstall it until next month.

Solution
The later has almost twice the former's Thermal Design Power (TDP) Rating.

You need to use a proper cooler for the i5.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This never should have been assembled in this manner. There's a reason it doesn't come with a stock cooler. Purchase should have been held off until a proper cooler was able to be purchased; if you can't get the sports car and the car insurance, you can't get the sports car.

Reactions: KyaraM
Jun 7, 2022
Shoot, I forgot I had this question opened.

Anyways, thanks for the answers. I managed to keep the temperatures as low as I could for a couple days and got myself an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO. Not the best out there, but works pretty fine for a $50 cooler.

Mar 12, 2022
Shoot, I forgot I had this question opened.

Anyways, thanks for the answers. I managed to keep the temperatures as low as I could for a couple days and got myself an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO. Not the best out there, but works pretty fine for a $50 cooler.
Having the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO is better than your old i3 cooler.