Should My Friend Wait For AMD Ryzen CPUs?

Tank36

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Hi! My friends specs are...
Amd Athlon X4 860k
8gb ddr3 ram
500w psu
Not sure of motherboard.

He wants to get an Intel I5, but it says he needs ddr4 ram, so he would need to upgrade ram, and motherboard for the CPU. If he got the new AMD cpu, would he need to upgrade his RAM?

Solution
What kind of budget does he have? Even if the Ryzen CPUs turn out to be good, AMD is only launching the high end 8 core chips right now that are going for Core i7 prices. The lower budget models with only 4 cores aren't coming out until probably April-May, possibly June. If your friend's budget isn't very high, it may not be worth waiting that long, in which case, maybe wait for the official release and benchmarks and see if Intel drops their prices on their i5s or the 4 core, 8 thread i7s or not.
What kind of budget does he have? Even if the Ryzen CPUs turn out to be good, AMD is only launching the high end 8 core chips right now that are going for Core i7 prices. The lower budget models with only 4 cores aren't coming out until probably April-May, possibly June. If your friend's budget isn't very high, it may not be worth waiting that long, in which case, maybe wait for the official release and benchmarks and see if Intel drops their prices on their i5s or the 4 core, 8 thread i7s or not.

Solution